It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:50 am

Post subject: Reflecting scopes
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:18 am 

Hello. I was choosing a reflecting telescope. Planning to buy one. I'm trying to find out which one is worth buying. have spent much time reading a lot about Levenhuk and Orion reflecting scopes. Asking you for some help in this question. What telescope is recommended?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Reflecting scopes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 am 

It depends Anna on what you expect from an instrument. Most observers start with a small instrument and graduate from there. This is a good idea because it shows us what different apertures are capable of showing. There's also the question of portability.
Personally, I'd start with a 102mm to 152mm reflector. If the hobby stays with you, then, move up to 200mm or bigger if you prefer.
As a first-time buy, consider also a small refractor rather than a reflector. A refractor is more-or-less foolproof, whereas a reflector has to have its optics realigned from time-to-time and also recoated.
A good 80mm to 102mm refractor will give pleasing views of many astronomical objects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:54 pm 

Hi Anna, and welcome!

I'm not familiar with the Levenhuk telescopes, but the Orion/Skywatcher/Celestron optical tubes are all very similar, are well-known and have many satisfied users worldwide. The Orion/Skywatcher mountings are essentially the same across their range of products, whereas Celestron use mountings similar to Orion/Skywatcher for their smaller telescopes, but provide their own patented mountings for larger apertures.

Can you give some info about what type and aperture of reflector you are considering? Or are you looking for suggestions for beginner telescopes from us? Maybe some idea of budget? Then we may be able to offer better advice to you,

With best regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Levenhuk Inc are based in Tampa Florida with scopes (as usual) made in China - or so it would seem from the Internet Page. regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:40 am 

Hi, Anna. I have two 6-inch reflectors. One is Newtonian with a long focal length and weighs about 85 pounds when you include everything assembled--the optical tube, the steel tripod, and the counterweights. Disassembled, each of the three basic pieces are, of course, a lot lighter. The tripod base is heaviest. I made this myself, so that the wind would not move the scope so much. It works nicely but is a hand operated altazimuth. It turns on pipe threads, but operates smoothly. I cannot take pictures with it, so instead have now got a Celestron 6 SE, which is a Schmidt-Cassegrain, closed optical tube--much shorter in length and much easier to handle! Even though the tube is short, it's true focal length is 60 inches, because a Schmidt-Cassegrain's optics bounce the light inside the tube before coming to focus in the eyepiece. I am ordering adapters to set up a Nikon camera. This is a "Go to" scope that has a computer program to take you anywhere in the heavens (40,000 sky objects). Cost of the 6 SE is about $800 and well worth it. This scope is good for a beginner or intermediate enthusiast. I like it because it is easy to handle and I can take it out again and again with a minimum of fuss. Want to see pictures and details? Go to the Celestron website. I would recommend buying a dew cover to go with your 6 SE optical tube at a small cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:54 am 

Hi Anna I started astronomy a year a go I spent months looking at different telescopes and came across the skywatcher 200p every chance I get to get out with it I've just upgraded the mount with the synscan I've found astronomy very addictive. You do have to 're collomatet the mirrors from time to time but it's not as hard or as bad as you might think and also the eyepiece ends up in different positions sometimes making it hard to see thro it witch means having to rotate the tube slightly to get it to your height other than that reflecting telescopes Are good for there money

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:04 pm 

Hello AnnaAnna
I don't suppose you live anywhere near Wigan.
I have a Konus 500 which was a gift to me.
I now have a Meade ETX 80 so the Kous is for sale.
£50 buyer collect - this goes for anyone on here who is interested.

Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80