Oh yes!!!!!

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

nigeljoslin

Oh yes!!!!!

Post by nigeljoslin »

Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
David Frydman

Re: Oh yes!!!!!

Post by David Frydman »

. Hi Nigel,
seems like a spare mirror from a big bird satellite.
I thought they were 72 inch diameter?
Are you going to make a similar telescope to put in your back garden?
should provide good views.

Incidentally, quite a few people have observed comet ISON with as small as 105 mm aperture.
About magnitude 10 or 11.

Regards David
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Hah! I wish! I can't afford it, and we haven't really got room.

Yes, I must look for Ison again, some time. We seem to have had much cloud, recently.

I do own a 4" f5 refractor, as well as my 14" reflector. The refractor is great for a wide view, which I really enjoy, and brilliant for VERY easily finding new objects on its lowest power of 18x (providing they are not too dim), but in every other respect is vastly inferior to the big reflector. But, the refractor is occasionally deployed for providing a different image. Perhaps I should try it for a widefield search for the relatively unlandmarked Lovejoy.

Best wishes,

Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
David1952

Post by David1952 »

Of course, this is only in recent times. The Earl of Rosse built a 72 inch back in the 19th century! Ireland 1 USA 0!

David
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Interesting to hear that Comet Ison has been seen with 4" OG. (100mm). I will give it a go when the 'horrible wheather breaks. regards maf
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

So I see, David, and his widefield scope was a 15"!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Pa ... telescopes)

I think there may be a chance of clear sky in the west, at least, on Wednesday night, Mike. However, I'm for an early session, ending by nine, when that big moon peeps up. Maybe there'll be a chance a few days later, minus the moonlight. I think I'll try the big Dob for Ison and the 4" for Lovejoy.... :)
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

I have also just come across the following bit of information. A comet Linear ? (X1) in Coma has increases in manitudeg from about 14 up to 8.5... unfortunately it rises only an hour before the Sun and therefore pretty difficult!! regards maf