It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm 

Hi David

It seems as if Jessops prices vary as much as petrol prices!

What make and model spotting scope do you have? It's a pity there isn't somewhere like "The Binocular Sky" site for spotting scopes that could be used astronomically.

Mark

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm 

dear Mark,

I was referring to the accuter 80 mm with zoom eyepiece which is very good.
there is also a version that takes 1.25 inches Astro eyepieces to give a big range of magnification.

There is a good Helio's 90 mm 30 times to 90 times zoom at from memory about £125.
This might be very good for the money.

There are so many spotting scopes nowadays both new and second-hand that the only advice is to try them and see which one you like.

Sometimes older second-hand scopes say 10 to 15 years old are sold at knockdown prices even ones with fluorite objectives.

The problem I have with spotting scopes is that good 80 mm ones can easily take 120 times or even 150 times magnification for planetary use but there is no provision to use these high powers.

However, many people are happy with 20 times to 60 times.

I suppose I should have bought the Jessop's one at £49.99, actually it would have been £45 as I had to pay postage for the 10 x 42 binocular, but I just didn't need the spotting scope.

Regards David

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Re Jessops. Following the closure of their shops recently, I now notice that the Worthing Shop has now reopened under the same name, although the Brighton one has not. maf

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm 

dear Mike,
this is mentioned in the news items in the amateur photographer just received today early because of bank holiday. Usually in the shops next Tuesday.
This brings the total number of shops reopened to 19.

The staff now have to wear stripey socks which the new owner sells in his other business.

Some of the old Jessop shops have reopened elsewhere in the country usually with the previous manager now running it under his own name.

Are the newly opened Jessop's branches fully stocked?

The £19.99 10 x 42 waterproof binoculars seem to be sold out with only the Mark 2 now available at £69.99.

Maybe as they get going they will have some further bulk order special offers.
There is a lot of spare capacity and probably a great amount of optics produced which can only be shifted under special offer.

Raining cats and dogs or even lions and wolves today so certainly no solar observations.

Best regards David

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 pm 

Dear David, Mike, Brian, Mark and Joe
Needless to say all the old Jessops I knew of in Greater Manchester closed down a few months ago.
I don't like saying it but like Joe I wasn't generally impressed by Jessops staff photo knowledge. To be fair I didn't buy very much in Jessop shops even though I called in on a regular basis.
Towards their end staff seemed better groomed at asking customers questions rather than providing helpful answers. A favourite question being "What camera do you use ?"
The last thing I nearly bought at Jessops (Bury) was a D-SLR sensor cleaning pen. Unfortunately they didn't sell them any more, the reason being that too many customers were damaging their cameras trying to clean the sensors. So I went to another photographic shop a few hundred yards walk away where I was offered a choice of 4 different makes of cleaning kits.
I understand there is now a new Jessops shop in Market Street Manchester, but I haven't been into the city centre for many months and haven't seen it. I don't think there are any other Jessops in Greater Manchester now. Last week I looked in my favourite local camera shop, Wilkinsons (Bury, Greater Manchester) window. There were some nice binoculars on show but I gulped and moved on quickly when I saw the price - I think they were 10x42 Leica but maybe Zeis model "ULTRA..somethingorother I think, the price £1500 POUNDS !!!!!!
When I go shopping in Bury again I'll cautiously look in Wilkinsons' window again.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:05 pm 

hi Cliff,
the Zeiss binocular may be the new 10 x 42 HT and very nice it is to. They don't yet make a 50 mm or bigger.

I found Jessop's to be okay but this was always from talking to them over the telephone and getting stuff halfprice.
Until perhaps five years ago they had quite good stocks at their central depot but I haven't called into their shops for over 20 years.

Often they had binoculars at half price or even a third the normal price and once a fifth and also once a 20th the normal price.

So it didn't really concern me how much their staff knew in the shops.

The M INO X binocular at about £40 instead of about £150 which has an altimeter and barometer which measures to 0.1 mbar or HPA is amazing.
You put it on the table it measures one height you lift it up and it measures another height.
And it is a very nice binocular also.

The only problem is I cannot get an initial fix as all the weather reports go to the nearest 1 mbar.
But if I listened to 2 or three then I can get it down to 0.5 mbar.
At the airports they measure it to 0.1 mbar.
At Stockholm Ar lander I think their barometers measure to 0.01 Miliband negative millibar.

Anyway if I had an accurate source I could calibrate the M I NOX to the nearest foot or so.

So I had great fun when Jessop's used to buy bulk clearance stock of brand-new optics and sell them below cost.

I will certainly miss them.

Best regards David

LE ICA make the Ultra vid. Now in their HD version. so it is probably this that you saw.
Perhaps you need the Geo vid which is something over £2000 same makers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm 

Jessop's 10×42 waterproof MK II, now £49.99 instead of £69.99.
These are not as cheap as the Mark one when they were on offer and I don't know if they are any good.
I suppose that if somebody tried them in the store they could pick the best one out of several.
But they might be worth considering.

Regards David

Also the 20 times to 60×80 mm waterproof Jessop's spotting scope is now £69.99 reduced from £99.99 and maybe it was £139.99 earlier?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:40 am 

Regarding what you were saying David about some spottingscopes being capable of giving higher magnifications than those provided. I have the ACUTER 80mm, 20-60X, spotter.
The quality of this spotter is pretty amazing for the price ( £135 ), and I'm certain that it could take 100X or more and still give good definition.
I unscrewed the zoom and used my 24.5mm range of ortho eyepieces. The magnifications were the same as yielded by the zoom, but a little sharper. I tried a 2X Barlow with the 9mm ortho, but I couldn't get focus, otherwise it would have given about X100 to prove the point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:51 pm 

. Hi Brian,
my similar acuter scope performs very well at 95 times even through double glazing.
A 4 mm eyepiece in 24.5 mm fit is 120 times on this scope.

I don't know if the Jessop scope is identical.

Regards David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 am 

As you know David, ACUTER supplies a high-power supplementary 5mm eyepiece at £35 ( from my retailer ) for the 80mm spotter, but it was hopeless for chromatism and every other aberration we can imagine.
I threw the eyepiece lenses away, but kept the housing as a handy adaptor for the 24.5mm ortho eyepieces, so it wasn't a total loss :D .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 pm 

Jessop's 10×42 MK II waterproof roof prism binocular now half-price at £34.99.
This is probably good value especially if you can pick out a good one.

Spotting scope still £69.99

Regards David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:17 pm 

. Today I notice that the 10×42 Mark II waterproof roof prism Jessop's binoculars are now priced at £29.97. Originally they were priced at £69.99.

The 20 x to 60×80 mm Jessop's spotting scope is now £59.99 which seems to me good value as they were originally £139.99.

Both of these seem to represent good value at least if you try them in the store or maybe try 2 or 3 and choose the best one.
but even by mail order they seem good value although I think that carriage is charged below £50 maybe £3.99.

Regards David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:10 pm 

At the risk of this thread becoming the general discussion thread for spotting scopes useful for astronomy... :)

Lidl have a Auriol 20-60x60mm zoom spotting scope on sale today for 26.99. Any of our spotting scope afficianadoes tried one of these in the past?

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:44 pm 

. These types of telescopes with many different names have been discussed at length here in the past.
They are okay for the money but not great.
I think they were considered okay up to 40 times magnification.
But I would think they probably vary a lot between individual samples and if you buy one it would be best to try at least three maybe six and buy the best one.

Regards David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:09 pm 

There was a binocular in a local charity shop the other day that might have made your mouth water David.
It was a Russian 7X50 glass, multicoated and in mint condition; the brand was in Cyrillic. The glass went for just £20.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next