Meade ETX 90

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

hunterz

Meade ETX 90

Post by hunterz »

I'm looking at getting a meade ETX 90 and would like to know if you can connect it up to a 12v battery to power the mount instead of useing the AA's size batterys
thank you
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

I believe you can,

Have a look here .. http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Meade ETX90 manual (as pdf)can be downloaded:

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeM ... EC_man.pdf

There is a 12v power port shown on the mounting's base.

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

Brian wrote:The Meade ETX90 manual (as pdf)can be downloaded:

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeM ... EC_man.pdf

There is a 12v power port shown on the mounting's base.

ATB,
Hi yes I saw this but it only mentions using a 12v mains unit
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

Ender Of Days wrote:I believe you can,

Have a look here .. http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

JJ..
thanks for the link I will have read through it cheers
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Ive been looking at that site for months now,and I can still find new stuff buried within :lol:

JJ.. :)

ETX 125
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

just had a look on that site but cant find any mention about the plug that goes in the mount if it has a positive or negative centere pin does anyone know
Brian

Post by Brian »

Have a look at the FAQ here:
http://www.weasner.com/etx/faq.html#polarity

Quote " Q. I am making an AC Adapter for the ETX. What is the Polarity of the center pin?
A. The center pin is positive. " unquote

HTH,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
Ro-Ro roof shed
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

Brian wrote:Have a look at the FAQ here:
http://www.weasner.com/etx/faq.html#polarity

Quote " Q. I am making an AC Adapter for the ETX. What is the Polarity of the center pin?
A. The center pin is positive. " unquote

HTH,
Hi thanks thats perfect
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

Another thing I am not sure about is the "HOME" position on the weasner's site it has=
. "The HOME position depends on the model and alignment mode you select. If you don't have a PE model (with the LNT), then there is only one Home position for the ETX-90/105/125: CCW to the hard stop and then back CW about 120 degrees to point the OTA to True North (the control panel will be on the west side). For the ETX-60/70/80, which don't have hard stops on the Azimuth axis, you just point the OTA to True North. For the PE model, if not using Auto Align, the Home position is the same as for the non-PE ETX-90/105/125. If using Auto Align on the PE models, then the Home position is CCW to the hard stop and leave it there (control panel still on the west side). For Alt/Az mounting, the OTA is always level. For Polar mounting, the OTA will be pointed at the North (or South) Celestial Pole. For more on the HOME position, see the "Alignment Tips" articles on the "AutoStar Information" page as well as the "Premier Edition / LNT Specific Tips" section on the Helpful Information: Telescope Tech Tips page"

if I'm reading it right is says for auto align you turn it fully CCW and leave it there but it also says after turning fully CCW to turn CW 120deg to point true north I'm not clear on which I should do can anyone tell me

thanks
Brian

Post by Brian »

Wow! seems a little complicated :?

Looks to me as though you need to know which model you are getting to know which setup to use. Do you know the model/type number?

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed
hunterz

Post by hunterz »

Hi yes its the ETX 90PE version
Brian

Post by Brian »

Right, I've found the ETX90PE manual and had a quick look:

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeM ... dition.pdf

The PE model uses the Meade autostar controller handset, allowing tracking and GoTo capability.

In alt/az mode there are two possibilities for alignment, "auto" (manual page 17) and "advanced" (manual page 36). Depending on which one you choose to use, the home position setup is different. In auto setup mode the telescope selects alignment stars for you, and the home position is the fully counterclockwise position. For the advanced setup, where you can choose your alignment stars, you first move the telescope fully clockwise by hand, then turn the telescope clockwise by hand about a quarter of a turn until a forkarm is directly over the computer control panel. Then lock both axes.

You know, the more I read the manual, the more confusing things become. The next step in advanced alignment is then to put the telescope in the Auto - home position, against the stop... Doh! Have to admit I'm getting as confused as you probably are. You have my sympathies :?

Oh Dear!
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

:lol:
Meade aren't exactly too clear in the manuals,

Using my ETX 125,
you should ensure the scope is pointing as close to North as possible (I use the compass/bubble) and is leveled in between the mount arms,
Then (with r a lock undone) it has to be rotated anti clockwise until it stops rotating (hard stop) then turned back clockwise until the left (port) fork arm is above the control panel on the base (this is so the mount doesn't twist all the wiring in the base)
Then lock the r a lock,

I always use the manual 2 star align,the scope (at least mine) won't put the star in the eye piece all the time so I use the handset to centre it,then press accept,
the mount will have figured out the error and should go pretty much to the 2ND align star,if not use the handset to centre and press accept again,

That should be it :wink:

Its actually quite simple once you've done it a few times :D

JJ..

ETX 125
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hooray, the Cavalry have arrived just in time :D At last, somebody who knows what they are talking about (unlike me :lol: ).

From what you say. it looks like the alignment procedure is pretty close to the alt/az setup for my LX90 after all.

Thanks, JJ!

Regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed