Night Vision

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Night Vision

Post by mike a feist »

There is a Zennox Night Vision Scope in a local catalogue that I just received described as...."with a built-in infra-red illuminator for low light conditions and has an effective range of up to 200m. Featuring a 42mm lens and x3 magnificaton".
"Ideal for a wide range of activities including ......and astronomy." There photograph of the Moon - incidentally showing part of the hidden side and taken from a spacecraft!- and almost filling the field of view completely. Even if they can be used as normal monocular with infra-red "off" (and I am not certain they can), 3 x 42 is hardly "ideal for astronomy".maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

The only use I had really from a similar moncular was showing a spectacular view of a blizzard.
They do us usually work without the infra red which is designed for gamekeepers etc.
There are two types of cheap night vision devices. Generation 1 image intensifier tubes or low light CCD or CMOS devices.
The problems are many. Terrible edge performance, very small fields of view and being inferior to a good binocular or monocular.
Generation 2 or 2 plus are probably good but cost around £2,000.
GEneration 3 cannot be impoorted except by universities etc. There are higher generation devices. Anyway these are £10,000 plus and are not available.
Integrating cameras using monitors ot T.Vs are better.
Eventually there may be low light devices of use to amateurs at a reasonable price.
I have seen Auroral cameras 25 years ago specially made which gave fine views in apparent absolute darkness, and T.V news fairly oftren show good views of stars but they are using expensive equipment.

Regards, David.
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

"They do us usually work without the infra red which is designed for gamekeepers etc."

Im not a gamekeeper but I have used one on an air rifle,It was described as a cheap one (it cost about £600) and I only had it for a month or so,but it did its job in the darkness of a large indoor warehouse,
however it wouldn't focus very close and sat so far back on the rifle that it proved almost impossible to use :?
Sadly I didn't have it long enough to test it on the sky,but I was told not to expect too much from it,
The image was quite fuzzy (not sharp and clear) and it had an extra I.R torch on top too,
I was very disappointed with it so sold it on :( ,

JJ.. :)
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

The cheap ones are about £250 to £300. I would expect a £600 to be better, but it may have had special optics.
I am not surprised at the view.
The expensive generation 2 and 2 plus use a different system, I thing microchannel plates and may have defense against sudden bright illumination.
In some of them you can stop them right down or they use a pinhole for daytime testing.

They are interesting but not yet really suitable for astronomy at a realistic price.
The binocular versions are double the price of the monoculars.
Some such as the Fuji stabilised binocular night/day I think cost aboue £7,000 for helicopter use in particular. There are also Swiss, Dutch, Russian Chinese , Japanese and many other countries producing the Generation 2 and better stuff.

David.