Imaging Source camera nosepiece

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

The Bat

Imaging Source camera nosepiece

Post by The Bat »

OK, dumb question here, but I am getting heartily fed up by the lack of intelligible instructions (or sometimes any instructions at all) that come with any piece of astronomical gadgetry.

I have just bought an Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS. It came with a nosepiece, but not a lot else, but after much cursing and internet shopping and trips to Maplins I have now accumulated all the cables and power leads to at least run it and it seems to be recognised by my computer which is no small feat.

Back to the nosepiece - I just assumed it screwed into the front of the camera but if I do this, it seems incredibly loose and won't tighten. Am I doing something wrong, should I be unscrewing something else before I put it in, or am I missing yet another piece of equipment? Why can the manufacturers not include a simple diagram of how to set everything up?

Any help would be appreciated, and it is actually clear outside right now so I am off to set up the scope in the hope that I might get to try it out.

Thanks, Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Forget this, I have answered my own question. Just found out that the front unscrews. I was a bit reluctant to unscrew anything, thinking things would start dropping out if I did.

It would still be better if things came with instructions so that one didn't have to guess and risk ruining something.

I will put this one down to experience! :roll:
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
markt

Post by markt »

Let us know how you get on with the camera, looking at getting one myself :)
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31