It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:30 am

Post subject: New binocular book
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:08 am 

A to Z of binoculars: http://g.co/kgs/SR9mQp .

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New binocular book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Thank you forposting this. I sent for a copy and it came today, regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm 

Sorry... dupicated entry. maf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 pm 

Hello Brian, I noticed this book in my trawls of the Amazon book site. The author's an interesting chap and the book promises to be a good read, doesn't it? Being a skinflint I'll probably ask for it for my birthday or Christmas. Mike, please give us your opinion when you've read it. kind Regards, Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am 

Well Bob, the book came and I spent ages engrossed in it. It was excellent, covering nearly everything that might interest binocular users, repairers and sellers too, especially perhaps some of those selling them in High Street camera stores!
For example, I had recently to return a binocular that I had bought three days previously because I could not "get on with it and was not suitable for my needs". The store has a 21-day returns policy "if you are not happy with your purchase". So I did, although it meant a journey by bus to an adjacent town. I asked for a refund, explained that I was not happy with the item. "Why not?" was the rather confrontational reply. When I explained that it was obviously not possible to tell if suitable by looking across the store, but needed to be used "in the field", the salesman took them out of the box, focused them across the store and said " there is nothing wrong with these, the image is beautifully, clear and bright". And is that it - is the only test that the image should be clear and bright?, I thought, but not wishing to get into a technical argument, I said no more, and put in down to my old eyes (there was an element of truth in that), and finally got my £60 back! regards maf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:33 pm 

Dear Mike, Thank you for the update about the book. I shall get a copy.

You make a good point about the binoculars that you returned. Sometimes it's not down to faulty goods. As you say, it's only when you use them that you know if they're for you. Three examples:

I have used my 10x50 Jenoptems for almost 40 years and they have been the most robust, versatile and satisfying instrument I have ever had and they suit me so well for every objective and subjective reason I can think of and can't explain succinctly;

I bought some expensive (for me) 8x32 Opticrons 10 years back and, while I use them a lot for daytime spotting and for those brighter variables that are now just too swamped with town light to be estimated by unaided eye, they are "niggly" in that I can only use them comfortably with glasses and the eye cups racked right out (which reduces the FOV by a degree or so but eliminates aberrations) - I wish I'd kept my old 8x30 jenoptems instead;

I bought some new Revelation 15x70's 5 years ago for £50 simply to take to Cornwall on a family break and gaze at the dark skies - apart from the price and their light weight for their size, they are naff (internally stopped down to the extent that I list them as 15x63s in my observing log and not very highly coated or polished either) but I can hand hold them for variable stars in the range of mags 7-8 under town lights. Thus they have their ongoing uses for a small price.

Once more, thanks for the info about the book. Wish these persistant clouds would clear in the west for a look at Venus and Mercury.

Warm Regards, Bob