Build your own solar system

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Montala

Post by Montala »

I received the latest four issues this morning also.

Unfortunately one of Saturn's moons (Issue 26) had suffered damage during transit, so I am going to ask for a replacement issue... again!

I do wish they would use stronger packaging!
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

HI All,
I encountered a problem when trying to fit the Jupiter arm even though the grub screw tightened right up the arm was still loose ,however when I used another screw the arm tightened OK. :) .I used the screw that dident secure the arm and it tighten the gear collar OK. :? Issue 28 in the next delivery has the 48 tooth gearwheel , gear collar and spindle so we can get Saturn up and running. :D Also in issue 30 there is a set of larger feet supplied to prevent the machine from toppling as more planets are added.These will be on the machine until the motor housing and legs are supplied in one of the last issues.
Regards Les.
Gary2880

Post by Gary2880 »

Hello all, searching for this topic on google i came across this thread. I decided to hold back on building it untill i had a good amount of the parts, I am up to issue 27 in the magazines also now but my jupiter was missing, i was sent 2 part 23's, and i have had to send saturn back due to a bent moon.

I am really pleased with the build so far, normally i am so ham fisted and useless at building anything, airfix etc, so I am very chuffed at how i am getting on.

Especially considering I completely made up the earth section? I havn't read this anywhere else but was anyone else missing the earth instructions? I went through the issue numerous times and couldnt find it. In the end I just guessed how to build it, big screws on bottom big cogs on top and luckily i believe it has turned out correctly.

I have now completed ceres, I think i will add Jupiter and Saturn when the replacement pieces arrive, let the issues pile up again until the winter and have another go at it over christmas, then finish it off in March.

I am also waiting on the DVD :)
Astrocomet

B.A.M.S.S....

Post by Astrocomet »

Yes I'm really enjoying putting mine together too-its reasonably easy to construct and with your own scientific knowledge of astronomy its much easier because you can see where the planets go etc, I've really enjoyed doing this and it will adorn my sideboard once completed although it will take some dusting due to the fragile parts on it-maybe I'll get a glass box or maybe a large glass dome made up for it from somewhere :D
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

HI Gary,
All the gear arm cogwheels the small screw goes in the the top securing the large wheel while the lower smaller cogwheel is secured by the larger screw ,it seems that it should be the other way round somehow,but thats just me :lol: The illustrations on how to fit the Earth section is on pages 4 and 5 issue 8.
Regards and happy building Les.
Montala

Post by Montala »

Hi,

I expect some of you applied for the "Special Issue" with the DVD of Patrick Moore's - Journey to the Stars, which was released (so they said) on 7th August 2008.

Although I applied at the time, it never arrived, so when I phoned them recently to request a replacement issue, I mentioned this, and was told that they had no record of my request... and that I hadn't been charged for it!

Anyway, I renewed my request, and it finally arrived yesterday... together with my replacement issue, both packed together in a 'bubble wrap' bag, inside the usual thin grey plastic envelope.

I wish they would always do this, as I am sure it would help to prevent a lot of the damage which can occur to the often fairly delicate components, during their hazardous journey through the postal system!

Haven't had a chance to view the DVD yet, but will do so shortly.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I have the answer to all your problems.
I get pictures sent to me by my son in Sheffield each time he adds a piece to the orrery!!
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80
Astrocomet

Post by Astrocomet »

I think what I'll do now is collect the various pieces to the Orrery instead of adding a bit every month or so as it can be a bit of a headache to keep taking it apart and putting it together-I've noticed some scratches occuring on it and I don't particularly want to ruin any of the fragile parts of it as I want to look after it as a keepsake in my family-I just hope I can get some kind of clear box or clear dome to put over it from somewhere-maybe we could send them in some hints or ideas about this?
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/
Puck63

Post by Puck63 »

Hi,

Received parts to complete Saturn phase. Found that the weight of Saturn bent the support arm onto the gear. Had to, very slightly, bend the support arm at the end (about 1cm). It now fits a treat :D
astro_dt

Post by astro_dt »

Hi Puck63
Sounds like you fixed your problem, but I had something similar with Jupiter sagging last weekend.
I took the collar off, turned it over, refited the arm and then it was fine.
Cheers
Danny
ETX125 WO Z66SD Meade DSI Canon DSLR
http://www.astronomical-odds.co.uk
The question maybe "why?" but the answer is usually "why not?"
Puck63

Post by Puck63 »

Hi Danny,

I tried the collar flip trick, but the weight was still sagging the arm too much. The arm can easily be bent though and put back to shape if further adjstments need to be made. Just protect the arm with a cloth and grip with pliers.
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

2 questions :D

1, Has anyone got any photos of the build so far ?

2, Is there an option of getting the complete set of parts at once,rather than collecting weekly ?

thanks

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
Gary2880

Post by Gary2880 »

I took a couple of shots of my Orrery tonight. Think i am more or less up to date

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Ender Of Days wrote: 2, Is there an option of getting the complete set of parts at once,rather than collecting weekly ?
I am hoping that might happen when the issue of mags is over. I couldn´t subscribe, not being in the UK.
It is certainly a lovely piece of kit, nice pice Gary2880, but won´t you have to totally disassemble it to get all those brass parts polished and gleaming?
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter
Gary2880

Post by Gary2880 »

nice pice Gary2880, but won´t you have to totally disassemble it to get all those brass parts polished and gleaming?
Rather not think about that at the moment thank you. :!:

removal of finger prints and an occasional dusting will have to suffice for it i think.