It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:04 am 

For those who did not manage to write down the URL for the Sun Animation that Robin gave during his talk on 'About Time' it is at : http://astro.unl.edu/naap/motion3/animations/sunmotions.html

There are also some interesting other animations on the site at: http://astro.unl.edu/naap/

If you have Excel or open office / LibreOffice on your computer there is a spreadsheet at:- https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/calcdetails.html you will need to set your location details as well as your time zone. The year version tabulates the equation of time for the whole year and plots the anelemma as Robin illustrated.

You need to deduce the twilight times from these but a spreadsheet giving the calculations is at :- https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/ezshare/eap/ZipFiles/twilight.zip (Only in Excel - it uses Macros for the calculations so may not work in Open Office ?) The macros can be used in other spreadsheets - I use them to calculate the times when NLC are most likely to be observed in the Summer - spreadsheets on my website at http://www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

If you don't like Excel similar functions are available in AstroPython

John Murrell

Last edited by JohnM on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 pm 

I am STILL complaining that NOTHING is done in Wales

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:19 pm 

Skyhawk

I always thought Cardiff was in Wales ? There was a joint meeting between the SPA & Cardiff AS on 29th September 2018 see http://www.cardiff-astronomical-society.co.uk/public-events/cas-spa-lectures-held-on-saturday--29th-september-2018

If you want more how about organising a SPA meeting in Wales then ?

There are plently of good speakers at Cardiff plus Liverpool is not that far away.

Regards

John Murrell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:46 pm 

JohnM wrote:
Skyhawk

I always thought Cardiff was in Wales ? There was a joint meeting between the SPA & Cardiff AS on 29th September 2018 see http://www.cardiff-astronomical-society.co.uk/public-events/cas-spa-lectures-held-on-saturday--29th-september-2018

If you want more how about organising a SPA meeting in Wales then ?

There are plently of good speakers at Cardiff plus Liverpool is not that far away.

Regards

John Murrell

As a single Autistic father of three autistic sons you need to consider that peoples circumstances may be relevant (perhaps in a PM) before commenting such as "If you want more how about organising a SPA meeting in Wales then"

At 60 I have started and run for ten years a registered charity for the disabled and started two camera clubs so have done my bit, I have also tried starting Astronomy clubs and meetings

https://www.facebook.com/Disabled-Astro ... 042188429/

There is only so much one can do ........."on ones own"

Thanks for the link though, that was a one off special meet it says

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:11 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
On the subject of speakers for astronomcal events and society meetings in any local area, I get the feeling that eventually this resource finally dries up. Locally one gets to the point of desperation when about the only source becomes the nearest University, the technical talks may then be of limited interest and understanding to many non-academic general members ( more than one graph or mathematical model formula and some people just switch of!) or expensive professional speakers which often cost more than hiring the local hall for the evening. Eventually you lose the non-technical audience or run out of subjects given by local, cheaper speakers or have to raise the entrance or membership fees and see you membership whittle away entirely.
Regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:51 am 

mike a feist wrote:
On the subject of speakers for astronomcal events and society meetings in any local area, I get the feeling that eventually this resource finally dries up. Locally one gets to the point of desperation when about the only source becomes the nearest University, the technical talks may then be of limited interest and understanding to many non-academic general members ( more than one graph or mathematical model formula and some people just switch of!) or expensive professional speakers which often cost more than hiring the local hall for the evening. Eventually you lose the non-technical audience or run out of subjects given by local, cheaper speakers or have to raise the entrance or membership fees and see you membership whittle away entirely.
Regards maf

True but a real shame I was a member of the JAS and am still pleased there is a SPA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm 

During the period between 1998 and 2008, I set up, and with the aid of the staff and volunteers there, ran the Foredown Tower Astronomy Group in Portslade, at the local Council's Camera Obscura and Visitor Centre. I must have personally given a hundred talks on astronomy, excluding eclipse talks and slide shows to schools, etc. All the fees went in the council coffers and we had to do the talks ourselves. Our members were, at first, mainly beginners and were very loyal.The main reason for setting up the group was, I suppose, for it to be a captive audience for observing but the weather, of course, often had other ideas! Many people who asked about the astronomy group seem interested, at least for a while, in learning the constellations etc, During this period, because the space was limited in the Viewing Gallery, where we gave the talks, to 50 persons, by fire regulstiond, we sometimes even had to run a waiting list!! Even with the best will in the world, though, eventually, over 100 talks and over 100 Newsletters later and a loyal audience, many who had attended from the very beginning, I ran out of ideas of new topics to talk about! Eventually the group changed to the Foredown Tower Astronomers and were then run by a committee, like most other groups, and finally held their meetings elsewhere, as the Council decided to no long run the Foredown Tower.
If anyone is interested in more details about the history of the group, checkout the Internet Page of the Foredown Tower Astronomers (the new group which meets at Emmaus) in Portslade. Therein there is an archival page which has much historical more detail. The current paid membership now, I believe just...13 people! Regards maf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:16 pm 

Dear al(L)
The SPA organised "an out of town meeting in Preston, Lancs", one Saturday afternoon a few years ago. I attended with my son (he's not an SPA member but has a general interest in astronomy). The meeting was well organised and very interesting, excellent lectures (my son thought it a super afternoon out).
However, there was an abysmal attendance !
I couldn't understand why the attendance was so poor (although I do think Manchester might have been a better SPA venue (?).
Unfortunately these days I don't go to astronomy meetings. I have a few excuses.
Best of luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 pm 

Hello Cliff, You may well have a few excuses but even if you did not , you do not need excuses. To be honest I do not particularly enjoy listening to astronomical talks, especially if longer that, say, half an hour, and some sub-subjects ( cosmology, astro-biology, general spacetravel, imaging, as examples) not really at all! I have been known to fall asleep at meetings, in fact, I often do now...unless we can go out and look at something interesting in the sky! I used to greatly enjoy giving slide-shows and talks, but am a hopeless audience member! Regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:29 pm 

mike a feist wrote:
Hello Cliff, You may well have a few excuses but even if you did not , you do not need excuses. To be honest I do not particularly enjoy listening to astronomical talks, especially if longer that, say, half and hour, and some sub-subjects ( cosmology, astro-biology, general spacetravel, imaging, as examples) not really at all! I have been known to fall asleep at meetings, in fact, I often do now...unless we can go out and look at something interesting in the sky! I used to greatly enjoy giving slide-shows and talks, but am a hopeless audience member! Regards maf

That's another problem, no talks with viewing in Wales or VERY few and far between, yes you can find them at £40 is a head, so for my son and I £80, a lot for limited benefits people to be able to afford.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 pm 

The costs of some astronomy events are quite high - the New Scientist Instant Expert on the Universe Costs from £129 to £149 for 6 talks though this includes a buffet lunch and refreshments. This makes other meetings seem like very good value.

The RAS at £ 125 for 10 meetings seems like very good value as well ! Shows just how much you get for your subscription to the SPA.

John Murrell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 am 

It is not just the cost of the actual meeting but often travel costs in money and time incurred as well. Travelling from Brighton to London, for example, to hear talks would, for me reduce any pleasure to near zero. I really am a dedicated non-traveller! Plus, of course, with such a huge subject as astronomy/skywatching, the sub-subjects are so diverse that some talks will be of little interest to some attendees or be too "scientific." Additional perks available to paid-up members, may initially make membership seem to be good value but there are now so many sources of up-to-date information via magazines that, for example, "Popular Astronomy " can only cover the same ground ( or sky!). I also think that I am not really a very clubbable
person! Although not a great computer user, I do like this SPA forum and do continue to use it regularly (as you must be aware!). Regards maf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 am 

It's a delight to be able to converse with you on the forum Mike, and to partake of your knowledge and experience. :wink: .

Last edited by brian livesey on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:02 pm 

I waved to the Foredown Tower twice today as I passed on the A27 - did Mike see me ?

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 am 

Missed you, John...not there on Wednesdays!! Ha ha! Regards maf.