It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:41 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am 

Like many I have loads of this and last years magazines

What is the best place to get rid of them, not throw away, doctors surgery, hospitals, any where else, I have waste

Thanks

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 am 

You could always try selling them on eBay.

I have a similar problem. But I can't get rid. They cost me money. So I keep em for reference. But with my 1978 onwards- issues of Sky and Telescope. Nostalgia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Once upon a time I too had this problem as I do buy many. The pile became very very unstable and eventually I gave up and gave them away although nobody really wants them and after a while old magazines become musty. You may have noticed the huge piles of National Geographic in Oxfam bookshops! I do look through then to pick out the odd astronomical article though. The answer is to treat them like any other monthly magazine, read them and then chuck them immediately you get the next month's edition. Or pass them on by swapping the one you buy with an astronomy friend who buys a different one, and then when you finish with that, chuck it. (In the recycling of course!).
Ps. I whole idea reading magazines in doctors / hospital waiting rooms always seems a bit unhealthy to me with all those ill people coughing and spluttering over them! I
Regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:49 pm 

I now don't buy, too little inside to justify the high cost

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 am 

I have had a collection of S&T mags on the SPA classifieds site since Dec 2015, last look it was 2132 views- no takers. Still have them. The doctors waiting room idea was suggested before but I agree with Mike on that score. Will not throw them away so no problem. Different thing altogether - I was at the SPA July 2018 meeting yesterday , very good talk by Prof David Rothery -Hot stuff (You had to be there).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:32 pm 

I tend too sling them after a few months,i tend too keep some with comet content,agree the mags are too expensive nowadays

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:56 pm 

Andy Turner wrote:
I tend too sling them after a few months,i tend too keep some with comet content,agree the mags are too expensive nowadays

I assume by "sling" you "give" them to someone or a doctors etc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:05 pm 

I have donated a few too my local Scout group,saying that I have thrown some in the bin over the years.Nowadays I tend too read books from the library,older Astronomy ones from the 1960's you know

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:08 pm 

Skyhawk
As Mike & Steve, already said, putting old magazines in doctors waiting room establishments is probably not a good idea. Just put your old magazines in your appropriate "rubbish bin" & at least they'll get recycled. I understand cycling is very popular nowadays.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 am 

Cliff wrote:
Skyhawk
As Mike & Steve, already said, putting old magazines in doctors waiting room establishments is probably not a good idea. Just put your old magazines in your appropriate "rubbish bin" & at least they'll get recycled. I understand cycling is very popular nowadays.
Best wishes from Cliff

Why not doctors, one good reason please, and dentists, hospitals etc, there are people less fortunate than you who don't have money to throw away would like reading them

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:06 pm 

Skyhawk
If you do decide to gift any old astro-mags to such places as a doctor's surgery, I suggest you hand them to doctors reception rather than just stick your old mags in the pile of surgery magazines.
Of course there is always the possibility the doctors' receptionist might take a fancy to your old astro-mags and take them home.
Best of luck from Cliff PS - I would think the chances of any of your old mags being contaminated with a disease are quite small, but better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 pm 

Diseases, problems

No one minds buying UN PACKED bread, fruit etc from supermarkets where women and men have used the toilets before shopping, done things I can't say here and left without washing their hands before picking up and replacing food on shelves Duh....................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

Skyhawk
I did say that chances of contamination would probably be quite small.
But apart from anything else it would be polite to talk to the receptionist.
Best of Luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:05 am 

Cliff wrote:
Skyhawk
I did say that chances of contamination would probably be quite small.
But apart from anything else it would be polite to talk to the receptionist.
Best of Luck from Cliff

As you say good manners cost nothing