Popular Astronomy Nov-Dec 2017 issue

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Popular Astronomy Nov-Dec 2017 issue

Post by RMSteele »

A really good issue just dropped in my letter box today. The mix of features and regular topics in this issue is outstanding - Tracie Heywood on variable stars, Deirdre Keaton on solar sketching, Graham Sparrow's Lunar report and those funny binoculars by Ian Morison are just a few of the gems. Kind thoughts Bob

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: Popular Astronomy Nov-Dec 2017 issue

Post by mike a feist »

1. As a non-artist who had attemped to work out a viable way to draw the H-alpha Sun with all its levels of spots, prominences , flares,and granualtions etc and I finally gave up. It would seem even more difficult than I ever imagined, as Deirdre's article explained!
2. The Ian Morison article on the reason how 2.1x42 binoculars can give an advantageous view, was very informative - I often puzzles over this, as I was at one time toying with the idea of buying a pair, but thought them too expensivw. It also lead me to Ian's www page with more.
3. The list of up-and-coming occulations by the Moon, especial those around Taurus, cheered me up a bit too.
---
In the sky, generally, there is an extreme dearth of reasonably bright comets, in fact, Heavens-Above lists absolutely ZERO following a time when it listed Comet Assassin (I know this is slightly wrongly written!) as + 5.5. magnitude. Hmmm. Have kept myself busy following Asteroid (7) Iris.
regards maf

RMSteele

Re: Popular Astronomy Nov-Dec 2017 issue

Post by RMSteele »

Yes Mike, woeful b***dy weather of late. Managed to do some vs obs in the clear spell last night (chi cygni seems to be around mag 4.6). a brief solar view today but my observations are less numerous this month. Give my love to Iris when you see her! Bob