It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:55 pm 

Now that Caesar at Washington has renounced the Paris Accord on limiting global warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, and intends to axe funding for vital marine conservation and research work, how many other nations will be following suit?
Donald Trump claims that the Paris Accord is too costly. To borrow from Oscar Wilde in his discription of the critic - Trump knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
There are observers of the scene at Washington who are categorising Trump as a virtual lunatic.
Republican Michael Steele said that potential White House aides were "flying by the seat of their pants." He added, "The talent pool is shrinking...who wants to sign up for crazy?"

Last edited by brian livesey on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 pm 

All Earth's water, liquid fresh water, and water in lakes and rivers visual aid:

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html

Doesn't look much :shock:

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:16 pm 

Dear Brian & Brian
I found Brian w's Post about Earth's water and associated visual aid very interesting.
Of course Brian L's initial post (earlier 2nd June) "Stoking up global warming" arguably triggers the issues of but in my mind only partially !
It seems to a degree the so-called PARIS ACCORD limiting global warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels may now be in somewhat disarray because of President Trump's claim the PA is too costly.
Apparently Trump is categorised by some "observers" as a virtual lunatic. Whilst even a Republican (presumably on Trump's side ! ) reckons his aids were "flying by the seat of their pants.........wants to sign up for crazy" - Unfortunately I have to admit I don't really understand what that (signing up for crazy) means ?
Anymore than I understand how spending a fortune on HS2 PLUS saving people (ie some who can afford the train fare) less than an hour travelling to London. Although of course they might then also save more time travelling through London in chauffer less driverless cars.
OK I can see the Paris Accord might be a (bag)pipe dream. A bit like the virtual reality dreams of some car manufacturers in really ideal countries fiddling their computers cars so the world thinks their automobiles are really much better than they really are with regards exhaust fumes
By the end of the 20th century I got round to thinking that one of the Worlds biggest problems (if not the very biggest!) was the ever increasing HUMAN population.
Since then a few years ago I realised that the World's population had increased THREE FOLD since I was born.
I suppose Professor Hawking can solve the world population problem easily by flying everybody off to Planet XXX22221a - Oh! sorry they sould have flown to Planet XXX22222b.
Best wishes from Cliff