It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 am

Post subject: Who owns outer space?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am 

A complex series of international treaties and agreements govern space exploration. The prime treaty that was signed and ratified by 105 countries is the fifty-years old Outer Space Treaty. This was agreed on by the UN and has so far worked, although history teaches us that many a treaty has been made to be broken when expediency demanded it.
Although the Outer Space Treaty has worked well up to now, there's a lack of policing to enforce it. This means that anyone - country, company or individual - can ignore it. One of the most crucial points in the OST is that outer space is restricted to peaceful purpose: orbital bombs, weapon-zapping lasers and the like are banned from space.
A further prohibition in the treaty concerns ownership of astronomical bodies, such as the Moon and Mars. These bodies are not subject to "national appropriation".
The points mentioned have been challenged. For example, in 1976, eight countries in the "Bogota Declaration" attempted to claim the geostationary space about their national territories as a "natural resource". This meant that a satellite orbiting above them would be regarded as being inside their territory. As it turned out, the international community ignored the claim.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 pm 

I read somewhere that a Russian cosmonaut admitted that they had taken a jet fighter cannon onto one of their space stations, just in case the Americans came up for a look-see. Anyone care to say whether this is tosh or otherwise? If true, it would have been interesting to find out to whom it would have caused the most inconvenience when fired! Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 pm 

Dear Brian (Lancs) & Bob
Personally I think the ownership of space might be settled in the immediate future by similar tactics as the America's "Wild West" land grabs in the 19th Century (hope I got my approximate date correct). Only instead of racing off in Horse driven waggons like the cowboys, the space grabbers will be racing off in spaceships. However, who will be in charge - I can't say ? but previously in the 20th century we had League of Nations, followed by the United Nations. I'm not sure if the UN are up to controlling space satisfactorily ????
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 pm 

In the 18th(?) century the East India Company ran India for it's own benefit. The Company had it's own powerful fleet of ships, including warships, and saw off opposition without a second thought.

History repeats itself? I can see similar extra-terrestrial setups arising from space exploration,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm 

There's serious talk these days about asteroid mining for platinum and other metals and minerals. Would mining asteroids contravene the Outer Space Treaty?
Two years ago the US government passed the 2015 Space Act. The act says that American citizens are free to engage in the commercial exploration and exploitation of space. While not technically violating the Treaty, the act remains a key issue of debate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 pm 

Dear Brian
I think that the East India Co. might justify their actions on the grounds that they only used wind driven warships so they were very environmentally friendly.
I gather someone may be working on wind driven nuclear submarines already.
I'm currently designing a wind powered spaceship. I'm hoping to provide space flights going round the Moon & back. Potential passengers can start sending me £5 deposit (non returnable) advanced booking for wind powered Moon and back wind powered space trips. I haven't decided the cost of the actual whole return trip yet.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:22 pm 

Dear Cliff,

just get a few well-fed politicians on board your spaceship and you will have plenty of hot "wind" to propel it with :lol:

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm 

Dear BrianW
Unfortunately there is a potential danger involving HOT winded politicians - if they heat up the universe more than 2 degrees C anything could happen ????????
The end of the World is NIGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Might be a B---dy Big Bang ++++.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

Dear Cliff,
Better hurry up with your plans if you want to be first into "space tourism"! SpaceX plan to send a couple of billionaires round the Moon next year:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronom ... sion-2018/

Whether they actually achieve this remains to be seen.
I wonder what the Life Assurance policy for this trip will cost? :shock:

regards,

Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 pm 

Dear Brian
I've heard there's a rumour that SpaceX are offering me their chief test pilot job. However, having seen the artists impression I'll be wanting a few modifications to the SpaceX ship design before I accept any offer. I'll also want to check out the potential billionaire passengers, to make sure they're up to my required standard. I don't want anyone likely to blow a gasket on any spaceflight I might be commanding.
Best wishes from Commander Cliff
PS - I did actually attain " Private SIX Star" status when I did my army service more than half a century ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 pm 

I don't know what SpaceX's Elon Musk's political affiliations are, but he could invite billionaire Donald Trump to do a solo trip, secretly making it a one-way trip :lol: .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm 

Dear BrianL
Whatever, in the event of such a solo spaceflight going ahead, can you guarantee that the subsequent replacement for Mr "T" will any better ?
Best wishes from potential Commander Cliff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 pm 

They have chosen the two people to go on the journey to the far side of the Moon.

A Mr. Putin $70 billion to $200 billion, and as thought a Mr. Trump, who only just scraped through at a mere $3 billion.

They are naming the spaceship Mary Celeste. :D

Regards,
David