It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 am

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 pm 

I've been checking-up on various meteor information sources online today, post-Leonids, and dropped-by the Meteorobs mailing list archive link, only to find it's now a page advertising mobile phones!

Hunting further online, there seems to be no information as to what's become of it at all, and when I checked links from a couple of other sites for it, they only came up with "404 Error" messages as not found. I know the site was down in August (perfectly timed for the Perseids...), and I did find some comments on another message board from then, but which didn't tell me anything useful, nor indicate that the site wouldn't be coming back.

Does anyone here know what's happened with it?

No Leonids for me; didn't really fancy braving the bright Moon this time, plus the sky's not been all that clear the last few nights in NE England anyway - usual story!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:03 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I saw nothing (but did not try very hard!) although Barry ( a member of our local FT Astronomy group), who uses a camera to record them automatically, did record 3, 2 which were faint and just one which was bright. I do not know the answer about the webpages regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 am 

Alistair,

The W3lookup.com page at http://meteorobs.org.w3lookup.net/ shows the site expired in august 2016. The previous reneweal details are show, there is an admin contact or perhaps a search on the name of the person who last renewed it may give you a contact.

From: http://www.atmob.org/library/member/L_Gramer_Bio.html, the person who ran the site Lew Gramer also has a site at http://www.visualdeepsky.org/ - perhaps emailing him there will tell you why the site has been killed.

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:05 pm 

Thanks John. No news so far, certainly, and the odd thing is several meteor astronomy sites are still providing (broken) links to Meteorobs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:14 pm 

Hello Alastair,

The problem is that a lot of internet sites are run by one man bands - if their interests change or something happens to them the site is not updated and then when the domain / webhosting comes up for renewal they just disappear.

This applies to a lot of personal pages on University sites as well some of those are still left behind when people change jobs and remain their as a historic remenant. This is compounded by the fact that most pages don't have an edit date on them so you have no idea how old they are.

I found a profesional site the other day that had useful information on it but had not been updated since 2010 ( from the last material in the data table). A bit of digging revealed that the author had died in 2010 and the University was keeping the pages on the web in case anyone was interested in his work.

When sdomain names expire there are people out ther willing to 'grab' the names and then sell them back to the original 'owners' for a high price so what can also happen is that people have to start with a new domain name. As for broken links there are lots of those on the internet perhaps 10% are broken ?

Regard

John