The Scottish asteroid

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

The Scottish asteroid

Post by brian livesey »

There are many signs in Scotland of ancient volcanic activity, as in the English lake District, but it seems that, in the far past, Scotland was also the target for an asteroid impact:
"A Highland village has been suggested as the epicentre for one of the biggest asteroid impacts. Researchers have concluded that a 3km wide asteroid struck the Earth about 1.2 billion years ago, leaving a deep crater where Lairg, Sutherland, sits today. It penetrated 8kms into the Earth's crust." Today's "i".
Last edited by brian livesey on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
David Frydman

Re: The Scottish asteroid

Post by David Frydman »

Any diamonds there?

Regards,
David
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

There might be traces of a crater rim, as at the Nordlinger Ries in Germany. The press article didn't say much about the supposed discovery.
brian
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

That makes two possible strikes in Scotland, as an ancient impact centred just offshore of Ullapool was proposed a couple of years ago. Strangely enough the date range for the Ullapool impact was given as around 1.2 billion years.
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

The Ullapool 'event' was probably the same one. There is a TV program coming up on the BBC Channel4 on the 24 th September inc the palaentologist , Dr Simms. Here is the BBC News item http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-37360696
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

The Ullapool evidence and the potential crater site near Lairg are indeed believed to have been due to the same event, 1200 million years ago. The BBC News webpage link LeoLion gave is very useful, as it has a map showing both places, and there's a link from it to an earlier news story about minerals associated with the event, from findings announced just over a year ago. The original Ullapool story launched in late March 2008 - Aberdeen University press release is here.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Thanks for the lead folks. I once had Sir Archibald Geikie's definitive "Ancient Volcanoes of Scotland" in two leather-bound volumes and with fold-out maps. The first edition was in 1897.
Both volumes were in excellent condition and were bought cheaply in a curiosity shop. I gave them to one of the London Universities. :D
On second thoughts, its unlikely that any asteroid would leave a crater remnant after 1.2 billion years of weathering and subduction. The Nordlinger Ries was much later.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian et al
I've only just seen this topic. There was a very interesting programme on TV last night (8pm 24th September) about the Scottish asteroid, unfortunately I only noticed it was on at the the last minute. Well worth watching with some spectacular scenery.
Best wishes from Cliff