Sir Patrick Moore

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Mogget

Re: Sir Patrick Moore

Post by Mogget »

I fail to understand the vitriol of Brian's posting about PM
I am totally baffled by it. It's almost as if Brian holds some kind of personal grudge against Patrick, for whatever reason. I remember something similar with respect to Brian Cox earlier in the year, and I was just as baffled then.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mogget wrote:
I am totally baffled by it. It's almost as if Brian holds some kind of personal grudge against Patrick, for whatever reason. I remember something similar with respect to Brian Cox earlier in the year, and I was just as baffled then.
I think this http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php ... ilit=moore may go some way to explain it.

RIP Sir Patrick
orson

Post by orson »

Graham wrote:
Mogget wrote:
I think this http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php ... ilit=moore may go some way to explain it.

RIP Sir Patrick
Interesting, and this may well explain his hatred of PM, but it doesn't really explain why he should dislike Brian Cox too. Or perhaps Brian Cox doesn't like Germans either!
nas76

Post by nas76 »

Leslie Ewan wrote:....However the appearances of 'celebs' likes of Brian May and ....
I agree with you with some of the others but Dr Brian May, who colaborated in recent years with Sir Patrick, whose PhD is in astrophysics. Yes he was part of one of the most successful bands of the 70s and 80s but that's not the reason why he was on S@N. Surprised you didn't list Prof Brian Cox because he played the keyboards in a band that had a one-hit wonder.
National Geographic NG76AZ
700mm focal length + 20mm, 12.5mm & 4mm eyepieces
51°40' N 0°24' W
Tim Chamberlain

Post by Tim Chamberlain »

I'm deeply saddened.

I came on here deeply saddened for one specific reason, and now I leave greatly saddened for another more general (and altogether unexpected) reason as well.

I appreciate that as a public internet forum operated by the SPA this board is open to a range of viewpoints, and in many respects I wholly commend this attitude; especially when I believe there is ample evidence here for the moderators to be far more strict than they actually are in practice.

I can only say for myself on my part alone that my enjoyment of these boards is increasingly diminished of late. I come on here to discuss astronomy - if I wanted "vox pops" opinions about the state of the general decline of civilisation I'd prefer to seek out that kind of thing elsewhere (where it perhaps would and should sit more appropriately).

Suffice to say ...

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Sir Patrick Moore on Sunday. I am amazed at how many people are saying in their tributes to him that he unfailingly replied to their letters or that he took time to speak to them, it's a wonder the man found the time to do all that he did! Amateur astronomy in Britain was undoubtedly much the richer for his unique contribution. I wrote to him when I was a student and he sent a lovely and humorous reply typed on his wonky old typewriter. I still have the letter and photo he so kindly sent to me and my friends (for a student magazine we edited). I am from the same hometown as him, and I am very grateful to him for founding the JAS which I joined when I was only just in my teens. And so, in his passing I'd like to accentuate the positive, not least as a member of his and our society, afterall it's the astronomy that has brought us all together no matter what else our differences might be.

Let's live and let stargaze. It's bad enough that there are so many cloudy nights in the UK, please - let's try to keep the darker clouds from obscuring our forum as well.

R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore.
8x30 (Baigish BPC5, Soviet era) Binocular
8x25 Bak4 Prism (Sun Optical) Binocular
7-21x25 (Helios) Monocular
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Yes, differing opinions are ok, within reason. What is not acceptable is trolling; throwing in a deliberately provocative post for the sake of starting an argument. This is often some people's idea of fun. It has been noted.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Vapouriser

Post by Vapouriser »

Such a shame a little attention seeker has to find its little squeak at a time like this , you deserve all the disrespect you get Livesey
120 evostar
150 evostar
150newtonian
eq3
az4
cg5
nas76

Post by nas76 »

I haven't seen it yet, but last night the BBC did a 30 minute tribute programme about Sir Patrick, it's available on BBC iPlayer until Tuesday 18th Dec in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Eccentric/

The synopsis reads:

A look back at the extraordinary life of Sir Patrick Moore, focusing on his work as an astronomer and broadcaster. His keen interest in the night sky inspired generations. With contributions from Brian May, Sir Tim Rice and Heather Couper.
National Geographic NG76AZ
700mm focal length + 20mm, 12.5mm & 4mm eyepieces
51°40' N 0°24' W
Barry B

Post by Barry B »

In the early 1950's I went to my first scout camp at Broadstone Warren near Forest Row in Sussex. On arrival one of the first things we noticed was the headlines in the local newspaper regarding 'Flying Saucers seen over Forest Row'. That night we all shivered in our tents, convinced that before morning we would be aducted by aliens. We even heard them!!.
Many years later I saw Patrick Moore on Sky at Night recalling with his friend, and former Goon, Michael Bentine on how they had written to the local press on how they had seen UFO's on successive nights, together with garish descriptions, as a prank to see how the story would spread.
I wished I had written to Patrick to tell him that least half a dozen young lads had swallowed every word. Alas now it is now too late.

RIP Patrick and thank you for your years of inspiration.
spavideo

Post by spavideo »

It is very sad that Sir Patrick has now left us. I first met him in person on the Monte Umbe Cruise to see the Solar Eclipse in June 1973. He was a popular person who attracted audiences of all ages. He was the inspriation for many people taking up astronomy, and he wrote books for all levels of expertise. I have been to some of his lectures and found him always entertaining, and informative. He seemed to be always in the forefront of popularising Astronomy.

He will be missed.
Last edited by spavideo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
stella

Post by stella »

I'm afraid you are misinformed.

He was not the only regular broadcaster on astronomy.

His predecessor was Dr. John Guy Porter, of the Royal Greenwich Observatory,
who broadcast regular monthly programmes on RADIO, each lasting 15 minutes.
The programmes were called "The Sky at Night".

Presenting astronomy programmes on radio is considerably more difficult since
the advantages of having the ability to show images, graphics, etc. makes
television a much more suitable medium.

Nevertheless, Dr. Porter, who was a great authority on Comets, and meteor streams,
managed to evoke the mystery and wonder of the night sky, with little more
than a small diagram in the "Radio Times" each month.
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

Dr Porter was in fact the patron of this society from 1954 to 1975. He died in 1981. This Cambridge archive of his papers suggests that the radio programme was called The Night Sky.

Robin
stella

Post by stella »

Yes, Robin is correct. Slight memory failure on my part.
spavideo

Post by spavideo »

I have amended my forum input.
orson

Post by orson »

stella wrote:I'm afraid you are misinformed.

He was not the only regular broadcaster on astronomy.

His predecessor was Dr. John Guy Porter, of the Royal Greenwich Observatory,
who broadcast regular monthly programmes on RADIO, each lasting 15 minutes.
The programmes were called "The Sky at Night".

Presenting astronomy programmes on radio is considerably more difficult since
the advantages of having the ability to show images, graphics, etc. makes
television a much more suitable medium.

Nevertheless, Dr. Porter, who was a great authority on Comets, and meteor streams,
managed to evoke the mystery and wonder of the night sky, with little more
than a small diagram in the "Radio Times" each month.
No disrespect to Dr. Porter, but I am wondering what is the advantage, and what is your purpose, in your slightly veiled further attack on Patrick Moore? What is your agenda here? What are you really trying to say, and for what reason?