Change of Meteor Director

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Alastair McBeath

Change of Meteor Director

Post by Alastair McBeath »

As some of you will already know, I am standing-down as SPA Meteor Director with effect from today's London Council meeting.

Shelagh Godwin, who has served ably as my Assistant for almost eighteen years, will retire from her post at the same time.

Fortunately, my other Assistant from recent years Tony Markham has agreed to take over the running of the Section, and I hope all the Section's contributors and observers will continue to support Tony as you have me.

I shall become Tony's Assistant for the time being, to clear up the outstanding analyses from late 2011 through to the 2012 Quadrantids, and should it be needed, provide advice. However, all meteor-related correspondence and observations for the Section should be sent only to Tony, who will inherit my <meteor@popastro.com> e-mail alias.

In closing, I wish to thank my Assistant Directors Shelagh and Tony, and former Assistant David Entwistle, for their excellent help in operating the Section, but most especially the many JAS and SPA meteor observers whom it has been my privilege to have represented and served for the last almost thirty years.

Good luck for all your future observing, and clear skies!

Alastair McBeath,
Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Many, many thanks, Alastair, for all your hard work and input over the years, especially here at the forum. Good luck with your "retirement". I hope it doesn't mean we won't see you here in the future?
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Thank you for the time and work you put in,
I hope you stay within the Astronomy community and enjoy the time off,

Thanks again to both you and Shelagh,

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
david entwistle

Re: Change of Meteor Director

Post by david entwistle »

Alastair McBeath wrote:As some of you will already know, I am standing-down as SPA Meteor Director with effect from today's London Council meeting.
Dear Alastair,

Many thanks for the years of dedication to the SPA's Meteor Section. Although my time as assistant was only relatively brief, it was a great privilege to work with you.

Best wishes,
David Entwistle
Paul Millington

Post by Paul Millington »

Dear Alistair,
Many thanks for all your hard work over the years.

Paul
Astronomy is looking up
Lat : 51.62N Lon : 0.75W
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

To find out more about the new Meteor Section Director, see
http://www.popastro.com/meteor/referenc ... /index.php
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

I should add my own praise for Alastair's amazing stint as Director - for any of you who aren't aware, Alastair became Director as long ago as 1983.

An example of his dedication to the post was the way he worked through the very large number of reports received of the March 3rd fireball in order to be able to be able to quickly publish details of its atmospheric trajectory.
HippyChippy

Here Here...

Post by HippyChippy »

Many thanks Alastair. It was always a pleasure to receive your response to my reports. Big Thank You to Shelagh too of course.

Regards, Les.