Do not like the sound of this?

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

David Webb

Do not like the sound of this?

Post by David Webb »

I found a website on the net tonight that looks as if it is from NASA warning about Earth being gulped to bits with the moon and planets going into a space junk yard full of boulders, old spacecraft bits the lot on the 21/12/2012 can this be right? I have not used my scope much yet, and the thought of us all being pulped like that seems a shame, if it happens I hope my telescope seller does a refund.
I hope forum owners do not mind me putting this link on here to show you what I see about it, but I just wanted to see what it all means, maybe you will let me know if we are going to be safe.

http://solarstormwarning.com/
Member of SPA.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

It's garbage, David. Product of a deranged mind. Ignore.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

For goodness sake don't think the Internet is a place for people to think they will get balanced information from sources unknown to them.

The Internet has a lot of good stuff, some mediocre and a lot of bad stuff.
It is full of rumours, alarmist sites and goodness knows what else.

Suggest people carry on as they have been, enjoying the fresh air since the beginning of human time. And sometimes forget the internet, mobile phones and the numerous other electronic mediums.
If it bothers you like a bad T.V. programme, just switch it off.

It is bad enough having folk walking around with billboards saying 'The end is nigh'. If you want to believe these folk that is an individuals choice.

There are many problems in the world, but the unbalanced internet is not a place to add to these problems.

Regards, David
David Webb

Post by David Webb »

Yes we did think it was done by a person who had maybe a bit of sun stroke, thank you for confirming it as that sort of thing.
Member of SPA.
M54

Post by M54 »

Have a search for Alexia Demetria, as best I can see the basis for this is:

The 1974 horror film “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” kicks off with brilliant footage of solar flares and descends into violence and mayhem.

Everything say's "The award winning...." but no mention of what award.

So we are entering a "photon belt".
Ever looked at how uniform the micro wave background is?
It is so uniform that any differences are hardly measureable, but suddenly there is this belt of photons smack bang in front of us. Well not to worry, they move at the seed of light and in a couple of hours will have moved well out the way of our solar system. You don't get them gravitationally attracted to each other.
stella

Post by stella »

"Photons in our vicinity move at the speed of light and in a couple of hours will have moved well out the way of our solar system. "

No, after two hours they will be 14.4 A.U. from us, or less than the distance to Uranus.
David Webb

Post by David Webb »

I know people do say that things are not happening on or in our Solar system, but only today I was on the NASA.gov website, and in the news area it had a bit saying that NASA have found new strange changes on the sun's surfice, in fact cracks 18,000 miles across, and it said on the site click this link for more deatils of news on this, so I clicked link, I got.... PAGE NOT FOUND
The page you requested either doesn't exist anymore, or was moved.
I think we are being kept in the dark folks, remember the Mayon warnings?
Member of SPA.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

This is not the place to discuss brainless conspiracy theories. People here are more interested in facts. I'll lock the topic if it persists.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I'll be OK, I have a hat made of tin foil and a bath full of petrol to keep my generator running. :)

What really worries me about that website is that people will see it an believe it.
The ITN clip is accurate, but reported out of context. Solar flares/storms/expulsions do disrupt radio comms but they rarely cause anything major, and if they did, they would not last that long.
A radio blackout will not cause the world to end!

As much as I do not agree with censoring the internet, I feel that mis-information sites should be made to carry warnings... "Site owned and operated by muppets" :)
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Mogget

Post by Mogget »

David,

We are not being "kept in the dark". Do you realise that thousands of amateur astronomers study the Sun every day, and all kinds of astronomical objects at night? Are all of these people members of some kind of gigantic conspiracy network created to deceive the general public?
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

David (Webb).......In one of the well-known "comet - collision" films, the daftest thing about it was that the comet was discovered by a lad out on a starwatch - that was fine - but then apparently somehow no other amateur astronomers were following it and no-one seemed to have worked out the orbit and possibility of a collision until it was about to happen. A comet visible in a small telescope would have been picked up by the various groups (BAA, SPA, the astro- magazines etc etc). There are a number of sites dedicated to comet observing on the WWW where you can find details of all the comets in the sky down to perhaps 14th magnitude. There is no way that you could "keep us all in the dark" about such things that are followed by amateurs and professions that have no allegiance to NASA. maf
David Webb

Post by David Webb »

I would like to reply to these posts, but due to things I have been told about I would not be able to do so.
I will be glad to PM anyone who wants to hear the things I am aware of, but as Joe pointed out I feel the comments here are out of context with what was said.
David
Member of SPA.