What Age When You Started Star Gazing And Now?

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Mr Q

What Age When You Started Star Gazing And Now?

Post by Mr Q »

I was 10 when I saw the first satellite Sputnick pass overhead and I've been hooked on the night sky since, at 64.

How about you???
What goes around comes around, eventually
David Webb

Post by David Webb »

I was about 9 when my Dad bought his first telescope, we went out at night in Blackpool area, and had great nights, mum was a bit bored, but we all had good times to remember looking at the moon.
Member of SPA.
Tim Chamberlain

Post by Tim Chamberlain »

I think I must have been about 11 or 12 when I began to get interested in Astronomy. I had a small Tasco telescope through which I first saw the moons of Jupiter and the crescent of Venus. My sister also had a lodger at the time who I remember sent most of one summer out in the garden grinding his own telescope lens. I still have a fantastic pair of soviet bins which I was given when I was 11.

I drifted away from Astronomy for a number of years due to city life, light pollution, etc, but got back into it properly again last year. I began by re-reading one of my old astronomy books and had a chuckle at how many of the dates of forthcoming events in it had long since past - it's interesting too coming back to the hobby after such a long gap and realising how much has changed in that time!
8x30 (Baigish BPC5, Soviet era) Binocular
8x25 Bak4 Prism (Sun Optical) Binocular
7-21x25 (Helios) Monocular
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

I started when I moved to Greenwich 15 years ago aged 35. I saw Jupiter through a Royal Observatory telescope while studying for the Astronomy GCSE.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

First observation was of the Partial Solar Eclipse in 30th June 1954 when I was 10 years. And saw Comet Arend-Roland in binoculars in April 1957.
First telescope was a small Naval Leather+brass reflector which was mounted on a homemade wooden tripod with Meccano (by my father).
In the early 60s my father bought a brass ex-gov elbow telescope which was great and also acquired a 8.5 inch homemade concrete and metal reflector for which George Hole made a mirror.
The initial observing period was probably a little over a decade.
After this I left home, listened to Bob Dylan etc etc and finally settled down with bird-butterfly-wildflower-tree,moth watching etc.
Finally return in the late 80s to astronomy with Comets Halley, Bradfield ,Brorson-Metcalf etc. and early sightings of Mercury, eclipses etc. Now I am retired so in total about 40 years.
maf
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

I think it was Nov 1988 when the bug bit me,I'd had a few moments with Astronomy before that but its when I got my first 35mm camera (still got it)
I'd have been 19 year old,
I'm now just shy of 43 and still as interested,

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
Steve Young

Post by Steve Young »

I have had a serious interest since early teenage years. However I did not get to look through a reasonable scope untill aged 57.

That's a heck of a wait for clear skies!

Cheers
Steve
Paul Freeman

Post by Paul Freeman »

I first became interested in astronomy when I was about seven or eight years old.Around 1958 Brooke Bond Tea introduced a series of 50 cards in their tea packets called 'Out Into Space' which I managed to collect. A few years later, when I was about thirteen my sister bought me a copy of The Observers Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore for Christmas. I remember looking through it that evening; going outside, finding Orion straight away, using those stars in the belt as pointers to Sirius and Aldebaran, and I've been looking up ever since!

Regards,

Paul.
sands

Age then and now

Post by sands »

I did my first drawing of the moon in 1957 (and still have it!) aged 9 (mine not the moons),now 64 and still going.
Steve Anderson
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

I became interested in astronomy at around age 7 or so when I found an old encyclopedia. Had my first telescope when I was 13. My interest has fluctuated over the years until about 7 years ago when I started picking up the magazines again. I'm now 42.
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
jb1970

Re: Age then and now

Post by jb1970 »

sands wrote:I did my first drawing of the moon in 1957 (and still have it!) aged 9 (mine not the moons),now 64 and still going.
I used to love drawing the moon as a kid but regret throwing away all my pics at some point over the years.
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron