Doorstep Meteorite?

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Cliff

Doorstep Meteorite?

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
According to a snippet on Channel 5 TV "Wright Stuff" this morning (15th Feb) a newspaper (not sure which ?) highlighted a Doorstep Meteorite.
From the little I heard, the vague report seemed to suggest that the supposed meteorite wasn't the doorstep itself but a big stone placed near the doorstep. It seems the stone (about 18 inches wide) had been in that location outside the front of the house for several years having possibly dragged there from somewhere else (?). Someone seems to have recently suggested the stone is a possible meteorite. No address or accurate location was mentioned in the report - (I pressume because if genuine the meteor will be worth a fortune).
Best wishes from Cliff
PS in the event of anyone finding out the potential meteorite's address please let me know - I'll let them have 10 % of anything I get for it, if it's genuine.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
According to the internet the 6ft long 200 lb meteorite landed in Britain perhaps 30,000 years ago.
It was an ornament at Lake House, Wilsford, Wiltshire.
Four times bigger than any other known British meteorite.

It was left on the doorstep for at least 80 years at a Stately home.

I don't know how acurate this information is.

It will probably end up on ebay I suppose.

Regards, David

The Arizona crater is near Winslow.
At first I thought the names of the places similar, But they are not really.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
Thanks for your response and associated information.
I assume no one is taking this "Wiltshire Meteorite" seriously (?).
Perhaps it's now been moved from its supposed doorstep location.
However. the estimate of the meteorites weight and length could be handy to know. The brief TV report I heard suggested it is 18inch wide.
However, if it is 6 foot long and 200 lb weight there's no point me nipping down to Wiltshire on a bicycle. If I want to nick it I'll have to hire a white van and take a strong mate along.
But chances are if I get it home I bet the meteorite a fake !
6 ft long, 18inches wide, 200lbs weight - I wonder how thick it is ?
Best wishes from Cliff
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

In the supposed photograph it is a thick meteorite looking large perhaps twice as long as wide or deep with lots of surface structure.

I am sure if you go down to the gym you will build enough muscle to carry it.

Hire a tricycle from Halfords. You should just get it in the basket well secured with duct tape.
It is only perhaps a 150 mile ride for you each way.
Should be a doddle.

Best regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
In the 1960s at my carpet distributors head office we had a safe that for some reason needed moving.
My boss hired a safe removal firm.
In the office at removal time we had the boss, the tall but thin warehouse manager who had been there forever, the Polish carpet moving guy. The carpets were large 12 x9 feet and larger from all over the world. So the polish guy was strong.
I was there after my week's travelling.
There were the two secretaries. Jean Anderson a fairly tall beauty whom I had a deep crush on and maybe Joan also nice but more in my league.
I was about 22 then.
At the appointed hour two enormous mountainous wrestlers turned up.
The two girls cowered in the corner terrified of these men.
They came in, looked at the safe and laughed.
One of them went over to the safe and tucked it under his arm and walked out with it.
We couldn't even move it and it weighed more than this supposed meteorite.

I suggest you give these guys a ring, perhaps their grandsons are still in the heavy moving game. Give them a 10% cut, but don't be surprised if the ask for more. I wouldn't argue with them.
You could use them to move any really heavy astro gear and they would probably have little trouble with a 400 lb. meteorite.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Something is wrong with the above report.
Say 6ft x 2ft x2ft equals say 20 cubic feet. Water would weigh 1250 lbs maybe??
So a meteorite this size would weigh several thousand pounds.

If 18 inches so maybe 1.5 cubic feet. Water 100 lbs. Meteorite 200 lbs. ??

So I think the report of 6 foot long is wrong.

Newspapers, the Internet etc. cannot be thought of as reliable sources of information.

Regards, David
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

This report on the Beeb adds a bit more to the tale as itterated here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-16986737 . Perhaps David Entwhistle may post as i believe he is a member of the British & Irish Meteorite Society http://www.bimsociety.org/index.php .
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

In your reference site it says it is 1.6 foot long. This may have been transposed to 6ft. long leading to the false report.

Aparently some weightlifters can deadlift 900 lbs. and wrestlers have no trouble lifting 500 lb fellow wrestlers and throwing them around with ease.

So I suppose our safe removal wrestlers could rather easily lift 400 lbs each.
I saw the one bend his knees, lift the safe and put it under one gigantic arm.
He then just walked down several flights of stairs with it.
I suppose the safe weighed 300 lbs.

When the two wrestlers came in they said ''I thought you said you had a heavy safe to move that is why both of us came.'' Or something similar. It was a long time ago but the most impressive weight lifting I ever saw.

One could really use safe removal guys for moving really heavy astro gear. For them it is just extra weight training which brings in some money.
The costs are not great to hire them.

I once had breakfast in Helsinki with the world champion discus thrower.
He was staying in the same modest price student hotel/lodgings. He was American and competing in Helsinki.
The amount he ate for breakfast was phenomenol.
A big guy.

Anyway, for these guys a 200 lb meteorite is just a very small item.

Regards, David
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David and LeoLion,
My plan - revised plan now - is a bike for me and two tandems for four hired wrestlers - cycle down to Wiltshire, pick up the meteorite and open up the recently closed Longleat cycle route, then bring the meteorite home.
Seriously though, although I find it difficult to treat this meteorite story seriously, this doorstep meteorite seems a case for Sherlock (Cumberbatch) Holmes (?).
Best wishes from Cliff.
PS - "Where does Space Raoul leave his spaceship ?
Answer "At parking meteors!".... source ref "Dandy, Mega-Comic 2012 Feb 12
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
Sounds fine but don't leave the gates of Longleat open.
When I was there the Bengal Tigers frightened the life out of me when I was in the car.
I don't fancy them running around loose.

If I see this meteorite on ebay I will know who has it.

What will be the Buy it Now price?

It was a bit clear this evening for a change and I viewed Jupiter's moons, Venus and Orion etc. for a while.

Early this morning I was up at 4 a.m. and finally all our buildings lights were off.
Why they need them on till 3 a.m. I don't know.

So at 4 a.m. the light pollution goes from really awful to awful.
I suppose I have to be thankful for that.

regards, David

My you're still reading the Dandy.
I gave that and the Beano up some time ago.
I actually bought the first edition of the Eagle, unfortunately I can't find it.
I read it for years and it was part of my interest in Space etc.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
I don't get Dandy or Beano regularly but being a Grandad sometimes get one or other for the youngsters in our family - of course I usually take a look to see what's going on the the really sensible World.
However, a couple of years back I got "the Eagle Annual of the Cutaways" which amongst other things includes a cutaway of NASA's "Project Mercury".
There is even a cutaway of a then modern MG Midget (claimed max speed 85 mph)
My first car was an older MG PA, top speed 72 mph - when I got it the car was just same age as me - 25.
Best wishes from Cliff
david entwistle

Re: Doorstep Meteorite?

Post by david entwistle »

Cliff wrote:Dear al(L)
According to a snippet on Channel 5 TV "Wright Stuff" this morning (15th Feb) a newspaper (not sure which ?) highlighted a Doorstep Meteorite.
From the little I heard, the vague report seemed to suggest that the supposed meteorite wasn't the doorstep itself but a big stone placed near the doorstep. It seems the stone (about 18 inches wide) had been in that location outside the front of the house for several years having possibly dragged there from somewhere else (?). Someone seems to have recently suggested the stone is a possible meteorite. No address or accurate location was mentioned in the report - (I pressume because if genuine the meteor will be worth a fortune).
Best wishes from Cliff
PS in the event of anyone finding out the potential meteorite's address please let me know - I'll let them have 10 % of anything I get for it, if it's genuine.
Hi Cliff,

The report will have been regarding a meteorite which has sat on the front step of Lake House, in Wiltshire, for many years. It has more recently been studied by the team at the Open University. Professor Colin Pillinger presented a paper on the history of the meteorite at the 74th annual Meteoritical Society meeting held in London in 2011. The meteorite also features in the Michael Faraday Prize Lecture given by Colin Pillinger at the Royal Society. It is currently on display at the Royal Society in London, until the end of March 2012. Where and how the meteorite was found is still uncertain, but its meteoric nature is certain. The meteorite will eventually go on display at Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.
David Entwistle
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
Thanks for the additional information.
I must admit when I first heard about the doorstep meteorite I thought it was a typical unfounded "UFO Type story.
However, I'm still quite confused.
I find it amazing that a biggish meteorite has been in known existence for apparently many years and yet very little seems to be known about it ?
Best wishes from Cliff
david entwistle

Post by david entwistle »

Cliff wrote:However, I'm still quite confused.
I find it amazing that a biggish meteorite has been in known existence for apparently many years and yet very little seems to be known about it ?
Best wishes from Cliff
Hi Cliff,

Did you manage to watch the video of Professor Pillinger's talk? It doesn't provide all the answers, but it goes some way to explain how we know what we know.
David Entwistle
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David (Entwistle)
Thanks for the Prof Pillinger video link, which I looked at late last night - very interesting I thought despite me being tired. I should really watch it again because I've already forgotten the names of people involved - good news I think I just remembered (?) one which was of particular interest to me - before I forget it again TOPHAM (I hope it was !).
Yes this Wiltshire, Lake House doorstep meteorite is intriguing.
I must admit it amuses me a bit that so much seems to be known about the martian meteorite found in the Allan Hills Antarctica 1984 whilst there seems to be some confusion about another meteorite which has been on a UK doorstep for more than a century.
However, I have a big soft spot for Prof Pillinger,particularly since I attended a lecture he gave at Bolton a few years back and I got a signed copy of his book "Space is a funny Place". The book gives the story of the Wold Cottage meteorite also mentioned in the video lecture. I have to say I think the drawing made by 10 year old Harriet Topham of the Wold Cottage meteorite about 1795 is very impressive.
I hope Prof Pillinger and his team find out more about the "doorstep meteorite ".
Best wishes from Cliff