Astrophotography

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

dorsetman

Astrophotography

Post by dorsetman »

I am a very keen photographer and have been for many years and now want to mix the two hobbies together. I resisted up to now as I appreciate I now will need a go to telescope that can track so that I don't get star trails but longer exposure images. My budget is quite limited, maybe £3-400 and having popped into Telescope House in Lingfield (an amazing shop and some of the best and friendliest staff I have ever dealt with) I left with the impression that the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Goto would be the best for me, of course with a T adapter but am I right??? Can you knowledgeable and helpful chaps perhaps help educate me and make sure I follow the correct path.

Thank you kindly in advance!
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I have the 127 and it's a cracking little scope.
It tracks OK but it won't give to trail-less images if you go over about 1 minute exposure. It's more designed to keep an object in view rather than keep it in the same place.

As for the T mount... From what I can gather, and from my limited experience, most astro photography is done either by web-cam or shooting movies and stacking the frames of those movies.

My movies were shot on a Canon Compact. The only times my Nikon DSLRs get put on the scopes is when photographing the moon.

The 127 is a lovely 'scope. A real planet killer. Nice and robust too. Mine lives in my motorhome as my portable scope. The mount could be a bit firmer, but the 'scope itself is very nice :)
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi there, Welcome :)

Your question under Beginners has also had some useful replies I see. The 127 mak has been shown to be a good starter 'scope for solar system imaging (see "Smerrals" posts on here) . However if you are serious about getting into DeepSky astro-imaging then you would be well-advised to start with a mounting capable of giving good tracking performance over several minutes at a time , has reserve carrying capacity for your kit and can be auto-guided. To some extent the optics and camera come second, without a good mounting they cannot perform as you would wish. A much-used entry-level mounting for deep-sky work is the "EQ6" type.

Away from webcams, astro-imaging cab seriously damage your wealth :(

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed