Had a busy day

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

dazcaz

Had a busy day

Post by dazcaz »

I spent the day at my works "Stargazing Live" event.
I took along my 4" refractor and also had my works 4" newt and 5" Mak.
I work for a science centre.

We, myself and colleague Amanda, spent the day talking to the public about telescopes and astronomy in general. The 3 scopes and Stellarium proved very popular.
We were very busy for a daytime, indoor astronomy event :)

I was amazed by the amount of interest.
I passed on the contact details for First Light at least 7 times. Some of these folk were extremely surprised to find that a workable scope need not cost hundreds of pounds.

I was blown away by the amount of interest from the younger kids. A lot of parents were really keen to get a scope, mainly in the vain hope that it will get their kids off the games consoles :)

It really was great to see such interest. There is hope for our hobby yet.

It would appear that prof. Cox and his friends are really beginning to get kids thinking that there is more to life than computer games :)
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Apparently the Cox factor has greatly increased the number of scopes being bought. This fact has even got into national newspapers.

Let's hope most get used.

Regards, David
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

One of the things that struck me was the the number of people who said "I've always wanted a telescope but never got one". Stargazing live has given them the push to either go out and buy one, or find out more about where to get one.

Quite a few people said that they bough cheap 'scopes from Amazon or Toys R us etc and were very disappointed by them. This put them off taking the hobby any further.

I'd like to see a ban of rubbish telescopes being sold by reputable organisations (science museum, Nation geographic etc) as good 'scopes.
Over the top magnification promises and pictures of Saturn taken by large observatories on the box.

People buy these and instantly get disappointed.

130 quid is no money at all, it's a family day out at Alton Towers. For this they can buy a 'scope that is not only going to show them something decent, but also last them a good number of years.

If those who said that they were going to buy a 'scope do so but only use it twice a year, then I'll be happy with that. At least they will be able to do so for many years to come and still get a great view.
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount