The twenty eight known galaxies

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

nealeh

The twenty eight known galaxies

Post by nealeh »

I find amusing that the 1978 film Superman (on Channel Five at the moment) has referred to "the twenty eight known galaxies" as the baby Superman is traveling from doomed planet Krypton to Earth.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Yep I saw that too,
It always makes me cringe that despite a large budget to make a film,they couldn't simply buy a space book for a little bit of research !

JJ.. :D
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

But then, are we being guilty of only seeing things from our own perspective ? what if you happened to live in the middle of a dark nebula. Or maybe if you had loads of bright emitters close-by or maybe in the middle of a Globular Cluster. Maybe a particularly opaque atmosphere and no real motivation to make massive efforts to detect things so distant they wont be affecting you in the near future. Detecting loads of distant dim things might not be so easy. Ok we have our own "challenges" (e.g. street lighting, neighbours security lights, etc.) but when so determined we can move away from them.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

I'm not a comic book aficionado but I'd guess much of the dialogue is based on the original comic - errors and all. Changing too much for the sake of fact may destroy the fantasy.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.