Struve Geodectic Arc

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Struve Geodectic Arc

Post by mike a feist »

The other day I was stopped in the street by a couple of Swedish Students who were asking passers-by what they knew about their country......being rather taken aback at my ignorance, I turned to my £25 Family Atlas and learnt a lot and was interested to notice a number of "chess-pawn" symbols labelled as above. and a very interesting of hours ensued on the Internet. Too much to cover here but astronomical worth investigating......I had never come across this before. The "World Heritage Monuments" stretch from Norway to the Black Sea.
Perhap David F has seen some of those in Finland!
maf
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Mike,
I cannot recall seeing these, or if I did I didn't know their significance. But I think they are in isolated areas and I did not come across them, as I usually looked at things of interest.

It may have ben in Tromso ther is a memorial to many Italians I think lost trying to save arctic explorers I think Norwegians by a dangerous airship attempted rescue. I will have to look this up.

Regards, David.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
If I remember correctly Nobile was the commander flying the Italian airship and Amundsen was on board. I think both perished.
Best wishes from Cliff
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Thanks all for this posting and sending me off to investigate these late polar expeditions and rescue attempts . All new to me . To others with an interest this Wiki on Umberto Nobile will get you started http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_Nobile . Thanks again
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Leolion
Thanks for the wiki pointer. (Even though I'm not a total wiki fan really).
Sorry I got mixed up and my initial recollection of the the arctic affair was not quite correct.
Interesting about Byrd's false claims too.
No wonder the American's are currently keen to get hold of the wili-leaks man !
From what I recall (I hope I'm right this time ?) many doubt Peary's claim to having been first to walk to the North Pole in 1909 (I think). If I understand rightly there isn't much chance many American's will ever accept Peary might have been a fraud though, I think him having been President of their prestgious National Geographic Society guarantees the permanence of his possibly ill gotten fame.
Best wishes from cliff
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

My memory of over forty years ago is poor. I think the memorial plaque is outside Tromso on the other vside of the bridge by the side of the road with an english and probably Norwegian account of the tragic events.
They may have moved it as now I think there is a museum, or maybe the museum was open then and I visited. I cannot remember.
It was a 6,000 mile drive and I saw a large number of impressive sights. The most memorable were lots of pyramid shaped mountains, very strange and beautiful. And the worst road surface like corrugated tin with humps about 6 inches high going on for miles. My Austin 1800 was a very strong car, but I was surprised it wasn't shaken to bits. This was certainly the worse road surface I ever experienced and caused by freezing and warming.

Lots of transparencies were taken. But I haven't seen them for decades.

Regards, David.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

From my reasearch on the web, the most northerly is near Hammerfest and not that far from "northcape" and they run more or less down the 24deg East longitude line. I believe 34 of the 250+ points from which observations were made are now world Heritage sites and maybe the erected monuments are fairly modern. The most northerly one bears quite a resemblance to the Meridian (Greenwich) monument on the cliffs at Peacehaven (Brighton) ...that is a stone pillar with a ball on top. Some seen less spectacular, ie a plaque ...rather like a tomstone etc......are are upkept by each government in which they fall. Only two are on buildings....one being on the observatory where Struve was based - (Tartu /Dorpat I think). The Tromso monument is not one of them. Thanks for your interest.....I knew all about the Struve family of astronomers and even about the "French" expedition to South America to work out the shape of the Earth there...this was covered in a programme on the television...........of the three adventurers fell out when they ran out of funds after the man with the cash, spent it of a jewel for a young lady he fancied apparently....but if it had not been for the particular Atlas I referred to (it was not in a bigger one!) I would not have been aware of the Struve Geodetic Arc...although a friend pointed out that there is a small passing mention of Struve and Geodesy in "Astronomical Scrapbook" by Ashrook. mike