Do we need our moon

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Melanie

Do we need our moon

Post by Melanie »

Who saw that programme last night about the moon?

I thought it was quite good, certainly better presented that the one with Dara O'brien & Jonathan Ross in although I like Brian Cox. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed that programme, just prefered it with just Brian and facts than banter and over talking if you see what I mean.

Shame it didn't have much more about Clanfield Observatory and HAG in it though, that was a shame...

Amazing film projecting of the water over London and NYC though, kind of scary isn't it? Very interesting and factual programme I thought.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

At least the programme was presented by a space scientist, not by a physicist or antique dealer.
There seemed to be a heavy dependency on American science.
brian
G Burt

Post by G Burt »

It was good to see Clanfield observatory, albeit very briefly!

Some shots of the venerable 5" Cooke and other 'scopes would have been nice but even so, I think it was quite something for an amateur group to be consulted and included in an astronomy programme, especially a BBC one.

Congratulations to Steve Knight of Hants AG for the use of his Moon AVIs in the programme !

Best Wishes,

Geoff Burt
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

I ditto that... Congratulations to Steve Knight of Hants AG for the use of his Moon AVIs in the programme !
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

I think Maggie occaisionaly has been on Skynews usualy during a Shuttle launch or something like a Satalite launch,

It was a good program,nice to see some good stuff on TV recently :)

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

I watched the programme about the Moon but was unable to clear my head of the idea that the presenter's "I love the Moon" statement and the concept that we need to go there again and make a mess of it with mining, building bases, launching rockets and covering the surface with huge solar panels could in anyway be compatible. maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Ditto.
brian
david entwistle

Re: Do we need our moon

Post by david entwistle »

Melanie wrote:Who saw that programme last night about the moon?
Hi,

If, like me, you missed it, then you can watch it on line by following the link below (sorry, as of 2011 Feb 13, it's no longer available).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb5jp

Do We Really Need the Moon? presented by Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock and a BBC / Discovery Channel co-production for BBC Scotland.
David Entwistle