New Results from Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC)

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

david entwistle

New Results from Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC)

Post by david entwistle »

There are a couple of recently-published papers resulting from work with the 10.4 m Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC):
I wish I spoke Spanish, as I'd be interested in knowing more about the second publication.
David Entwistle
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi David , Google Chrome browser is pretty good now at translation and will identify the language and offer you a 'translation' . It is also worth a go with Babelfish
http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/ . Occasionally a PDF of size will make them fall 'flat on their face' with Too big to translate. Hope this helps ,
Len E
david entwistle

LeoLion wrote:Hi David , Google Chrome browser is pretty good now at translation and will identify the language and offer you a 'translation' . It is also worth a go with Babelfish
http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/ . Occasionally a PDF of size will make them fall 'flat on their face' with Too big to translate. Hope this helps ,
Len E
Hi Len,

Thanks for the pointer. It's amazing what software can do now. I've recently been corresponding with Japanese radio meteor observers, where they'd been using translation software. We had no trouble in understanding each other at all - quite amazing.

Good luck for the Bootids - it's cloudy here at the moment...
David Entwistle
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David and LeoLion
I recall a TV documentary a year or two back mentioning that a Japanese scientist\meteorologist actually discovered the Jet Stream about 1930-ish. Realisng that relatively few of the World's scientists then spoke Japanese he went to the trouble of publishing his discovery in Esperanto. Although Esperanto was a\the supposed International language few people ever got round to using it. The result was that we in the west never got round to knowing anything about the Jet Stream until after World War 2.
Bets wishes from Cliff
david entwistle

Re: New Results from Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC)

david entwistle wrote:There are a couple of recently-published papers resulting from work with the 10.4 m Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC):
    2. Two of the largest telescopes in the world observe the activation of a quasar by an encounter between galaxies (Spanish Version)[/url]
I wish I spoke Spanish, as I'd be interested in knowing more about the second publication.
I did make some progress with Babelfish, but readers of the SPA's excellent ENBs will have seen that the Late June Bulletin included this story with links to English language summaries of the original Spanish press release. You can read them courtesy of the RAS here and courtesy of the IAA here. The full paper is available here.
VLT and GTC observations of SDSS J0123+00: a type 2 quasar triggered in a galaxy encounter?
Authors: M. Villar-Martin (1), C. Tadhunter (2), E. Perez (1), A. Humphrey (3), A. Martinez-Sansigre (4,5), R. Gonzalez Delgado (1), M. Perez-Torres (1), ((1)Instituto de Astrofisica de Andalucia-CSIC, Spain, (2)University of Sheffield, UK, (3)INAOE, México, (4)University of Oxford, UK, (5) Univ. of Portsmouth (UK))
David Entwistle