A classic Moon film from 1953

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Robin Scagell

A classic Moon film from 1953

Post by Robin Scagell »

Some may know the name of H P Wilkins, a British amateur astronomer who made a definitive and highly detailed map of the Moon. Now British Pathe have released a short film they made about him, which you can see here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47513

Robin
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

It's the first time I've seen Wilkins without his spectacles. It seems that Nasa made some use of his 300-inch Moon Map.
I recall browsing through the map, in book form, at the local library in the 1960s.
brian
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Good find :P
I found it hard to watch without a big smile on my face,yet was in awe of those big square maps,
Best thing Ive seen for a few days (tv and net)

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Thanks for that . Perhaps they might allow it on the S & N CD ? Apart from PM' s books from the Halifax Central Junior Library ( back in the 1950 s ) I greatly enjoyed H P Wilkin's "Instructions to Young Astronomers" . I have now purchased my own copy of the Wilkins book on a nostalgia trip.
Those were the days (lightwise) with the majority of rural roads unlit or only by gaslamps .
Len E
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

On inspection, the Wilkins map seemed limited to me. There was no texturing on the map, only lines and dots.
brian