Lunar Occultation

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Paul Freeman

Lunar Occultation

Post by Paul Freeman »

Can anyone help me with a query regarding a lunar occultation next March please? I am in the process of writing a Spring Night Sky article for our local parish magazine and notice that according to the 2009/10 Astro Calender published by The Federation of Astronomical Societies, there is to be a lunar occultation of Omicron Leonis on the 27th March at 01:55 (Pages 20 & 21). However, the star highlighted on the map is actually Gamma Leonis, in the sickle of Leo. I have searched on Google for any occultation web sites to no avail, and the occultation section of the SPA only goes up to the end of December.
I would be most grateful for any advice regarding this. I would like to include it in my article as it should be easily seen in binoculars.

Regards, Paul.
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi Paul , There is some free software that will give you all you need and more (LOW Lunar Occultation Workbench ) .[url] http://low4.doa-site.nl/ [url]
This is far more than you need for your query. In this specific instance if you have Cartes du Ciel sky mapping software enter a time a few minutes before the expected occultation with the corresponding date . Ask the program to look for Moon. Up will pop the moon with Omicron Leonis just off to the side of the Moon . You can either animate or step by the minute to see the occultation . This should suffice for a screen grab for your Parish Magazine. No doubt other sky map software will do similar
Hope this helps.
Len E
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Hi Paul, I've prepared the occultation events for Jan to Mar 2010, but haven't had chance to publish them on the website yet. Hopefully they will be there shortly, along with the accompanying graphics.

However, in the meantime, please find links to a copy of the events in Excel and Adobe PDF format.

It is omicron Leonis on the 27th March 2010. Here's the accompanying graphic showing the point on the lunar limb where omicron Leonis will disappear.

All the best,

Jeff.
Paul Freeman

Lunar Occultation

Post by Paul Freeman »

Hi Jeff and Leo - thank you both very much for the information regarding the occultation of Omicron Leonis. Its been very helpful. My apologies to the publishers of the Astro Calender. Omicron Leonis is marked on the March map just to the right of Regulus. Somehow I managed to miss it first time around! I can now include this info. in my magazine article.
Again, many thanks,
Regards, Paul.