Projector of night sky: could anyone recommend one?

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

I'm looking for a projector that will show the night sky inside a darkened room.
Could anyone recommend one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is quite reliable?

Thank you :-)

Rosanella
If we do not try, we will not know. (Ayya Khema)
8)
nealeh

Re: Projector of night sky: could anyone recommend one?

Post by nealeh »

Rosanella wrote:I'm looking for a projector that will show the night sky inside a darkened room.
Could anyone recommend one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is quite reliable?
The people that run Lincolnshire's mobile planetarium may be able to advise. I attended their IYA 2009 event and was quite impressed.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Rosanella

Re: Projector of night sky: could anyone recommend one?

Post by Rosanella »

nealeh wrote: The people that run Lincolnshire's mobile planetarium may be able to advise. I attended their IYA 2009 event and was quite impressed.

Thank you for the link, Nealeh, but I think they use a large planetarium that can hold quite a few people and it could cost £1000s (£10,000+).
I had thought of something smaller that I could use in a classroom.

Rosanella
8)
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

How about a celestial globe with a light inside it?
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80
nealeh

Post by nealeh »

User reviews of this one (£21.49) are favourable:

National Geographic Planetarium

Or, Google Shopping
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

Hi Rosanella,

Back when I was a lad I remember getting a planetarium for Christmas. Obviously it was a toy but on fond reflection it was pretty good, consisting of a black plastic globe with holes punched in it for the stars and a light bulb in the center. In a darkened room the stars were projected on the ceiling and walls. I seem to remember it being better in a small room for obvious reasons, so a classroom may be too big. I believe it was called something like "Spitzer Junior". Keep a look out on eBay, I have seen similar items...

Best of luck...
Andrew
Eyes, binoculars, CubePro, AT72ED, EOS 20Da, DSI II Pro,

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
chuenmanc

Post by chuenmanc »

I bought one that projected a shadow of stars and constellation lines - basically the sky in reverse. I wasn't very impressed. I'd imagine that one that projects stars as light would be better, like what goodtime describes.
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi Rosanella , Try both Google and Ebay in your search for Planetarium projectors .Many an orrery is in there listed as planetaria . I have the National Geographic device(via my local Argos for under £20 ) . I have just checked Ebay out and turned up the following:- There is what looks to be Sega unit at a Buy it now price of £150 from a UK seller . This link http://www.squidoo.com/sega_homestar_pro_planetarium shows you what that is like. By the way there is a nice little sterling silver 'telescope in a dome' charm for a charm bracelet on there on the 'planetarium' search . A nice addition to any lady astronomers charm bracelet ( wonder if it would charm the clouds away )? :)
On the DIY front one of the Japanese astronomy magazines ran a card 'cut out , pinhole and glue kit' as a flat sheet . This can , on occasions , turn up on Ebay as a 'flat pack' .
If you have access to the Journal of the BAA then there was a paper by G Y Haig ( Journal British Astron. Assoc., Vol. 84, p. 432 - 438 ) on making your own ( for under a tenner ! ) . This used holes in a copper ball cock to project the sky on to a paper dome. Worth a look.
Hope this is helpful and good look with your search.
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

goodtime wrote:Hi Rosanella,

Back when I was a lad I remember getting a planetarium for Christmas. Obviously it was a toy but on fond reflection it was pretty good, consisting of a black plastic globe with holes punched in it for the stars and a light bulb in the center. In a darkened room the stars were projected on the ceiling and walls. I seem to remember it being better in a small room for obvious reasons, so a classroom may be too big. I believe it was called something like "Spitzer Junior". Keep a look out on eBay, I have seen similar items...

Best of luck...
I bought something like that at the Science Museum and I'm not impressed by it. After spending a couple of hours, my daughter and I, punching holes through the cardboard we still cannot distinguish constellations. I'm going to get the money back for this one :D

I'll try the National Geographic but the Sega Homestar seems the one to go for. As for the the ''telescope in a dome' charm for a charm bracelet ' I cannot see it but, in any case, I'm very fussy when it comes to jewellery and I'm not fond of bracelet, because they get in the way when I play the guitar. Thank you for the thought :-)

Rosanella
8)