It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 am

Post subject: Luna Cognita -Book
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm 

Decided finally to order this Set 3, Books about the Moon, 'Luna Cognita',having read a very positive review. Ordered from Amazon, came in a couple of days...BUT only Volume 1 received. Apparently this is NOT the first time! Someone - Writing in Japanese-only received Vol 3....others received only vol 1, etc etc. Returning the single volume but will be surprised if the replacement is all three volumes! Seriously frustrating, annoying and disappointing. Beware! regards mike

Just noticed that in my frustration I headed this post with an incorrect name for the book! maf

Last edited by michael feist on Thu May 14, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Luna Incognita -Book
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:05 pm 

Mike
I personally can only say we have found Amazon OK. But I have heard some concerns that some people have received parcels containing no ordered items only packaging.
Best of luck from Cliff

Post subject: Re: Luna Cognita -Book
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:10 am 

My wife regularly buys from them and there is no problem with returning wrong or faulty goods, and no charge for such return. Have returned the Vol 1, and await with some trepidation for the replacement which apparently has been sent. It will be immediately obvious by the weight of the package where it contained one volume or a set of three!

How are you coping Cliff generally and astronomically? The Sun seems pretty dead, all the recent Comets have promised much and been faint or have fallen apart, so really have only been concentrated on Venus, following it in the daytime with a spotting scope. Must go as doing so at the moment and if Venus gets too far beyond the fov, I will have to search for it all over again.
regards mike

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:43 pm 

Mike
Yes, we or perhaps I should really say my wife has had similar experiences with Amazon. They usually do seem pretty efficient, but there's always need to keep fingers Xed I hope your current book purchase issue works out satisfactorily.
How am I coping with astronomy ?
Well astronomy for me now is pretty well only the Sun. And if I couldn't observe it through our west facing back bedroom window I suspect I might forget about astronomy completely. Although I did fairly recently actually take a simple astro-image of Venus. But even if I felt physically able to observe at night from our garden there is now a fantastically brilliant security light shining directly into our garden. I have great sympathy for the supposed need for the light (one of 13 such security lights I think) for the benefit of OAPs in sheltered bungalow accommodation, who have been having nasty experiences (burglaries, some even beaten-up). Years back I got on well with the sheltered accommodation manageress, who lived on the site and got the then lower powered security lights adjusted to my advantage, but because of financial cut-backs the manageress was moved to take charge of many more sites. Whatever, our local security lighting is absolutely ridiculously bright. Unfortunately I am now a bit passed night sky observing so complaining would be a waste of time. Ironically about 15 years ago I (being one of two amateur astronomers) attended a meeting of street lighting engineers in Sheffield - when I gave them my opinions, I got booed by quite a few people. I was ready for the reception I got being a retired highway engineer & had occasional tangles with lighting engineers in the local authority where I worked.
I might be wrong but I suspect even now not many street lighting engineers are really very concerned about light pollution.
Best wishes from wittering Cliff

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 am 

Hello Cliff, I do observing out of and through the window when ever possible, and only with low power instruments so this is generally not a problem. Also generally around dawn/dusk and daytime. This included, as you must have read here, VENUS in daylight, and other bright objects coming together when during the dawn/dusk, Crescent & Full Moon, Solar and Lunar eclipses [visible from here!], atmospheric optical effects [haloes, sundogs etc]. IF there is a bright or brightish comet [pretty rare lately!] I will venture into viewing it what ever the time. Rarely if ever look at the stars unless as background for planet [Venus near the Pleiades for example.] Most of these do not require dark skies. What I would like to see are [a] a daylight comet and [b] daylight supernova. I will not hold my breath though! regards mike.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:16 pm 

Mike - Thanks !
I began stargazing when a boy, just before WW2 ended - NO light pollution then.
Continued interest even though school teachers swayed me off becoming a proper astronomer, probably because of my academic limitations. Eventually got more serious in 1987 when I acquired a 215mm Newtonian. Initially keen on Deep Sky but light pollution encouraged more planetary observing. The Moon seemed too complicated, the Sun too bright, planets providing enough detail to make sketching interesting. Sometimes I went on the Pennines to observe DSOs. Old fashioned film photography didn't attract me but in the early 1990s professional astronomers new fangled digital images fascinated me, so when cheaper digital gear became available I got one.
About 20years ago arthritis became a problem; not getting better as I grew older, & not encouraging night sky observing. So already having a decent 88mm refractor, I also acquired a 60mm Hydrogen Alpha Coronado SolarMax scope, to observe the Sun in comfort through our west facing back bedroom window in daytime. On a nice day I sometimes get my quota of White Light & Ha video clips in half an hour; with more awkward skies often longer. However, image processing takes three hours - so the Sun generally provides enough astronomy for me.
Whatever, last night I took a photo of my SolarMax parked at the bedroom window & beyond the double glazing my nearby "friend" the security light and the odd few street lights. I'll try to display my photo on the Forum Gallery.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:20 pm 

A further and final episode concerning that book from Amazon!!
My wife sent back Volume 1, explaining that there should be three volumes.
They tried again...and their next attempt produced...yes, you guessed it...Volume 2 alone!!!
I am giving up!!! Will send Vol 2 back and ask for a cash refund. They really ought to be boxed, even if it meant an additional cost. I noticed that someone from the BAA received a full set from another source and theirs were sealed together in a bag with a sticker thereon saying "a set of three volumes." or something similar.
When I first wrote this posting, in error I called the book " Luna Incognita", I was not far wrong...the contents are going to be "unknown" to me! regards mike

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm 

Mike
Sorry to red about your problem about the three Moon books with Amazon.
I hope you get the refund OK.
Best of luck from Cliff