It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 am

Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 am 

Firstly congratulations on the new SPA Forum (and the Web Site). As I feel that we need to expand the appeal of Astronomy to everyone, especially children and young adults etc, SPA has done a great job by having a presence on the medium that young people use (and to some extent spend most of their time on) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I am going to do a 'Skyhawk' here with just ask the question "why?". maf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 am 

Errr............ why

:) :) :)

Actually what new forum, what have I missed ?

Actually I think the popastro website is way outdated......... design wise and appearance needs bringing into the 21st century

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm 

In my opinion, the subject is about looking at the SKY and not at a small SCREEN.
The computer can be useful tool but is not the be-all and end-all of the subject.
Flashy images and wizzbang screen effects will only trivialize the subject and produce short-lived over-enthuisiam. Astronomy, skywatching and naturewatching are not computer games, at least they are not to me. Regards maf, grumpy old skywatcher.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 am 

mike a feist wrote:
In my opinion, the subject is about looking at the SKY and not at a small SCREEN.
The computer can be useful tool but is not the be-all and end-all of the subject.
Flashy images and wizzbang screen effects will only trivialize the subject and produce short-lived over-enthuisiam. Astronomy, skywatching and naturewatching are not computer games, at least they are not to me. Regards maf, grumpy old skywatcher.

Hmmmmm

Ok I do agree, to an extent.

I am Autistic, my son is Autistic, my scope is connected to my computer and I am able to control it from indoors, why, because I hate going out, being around people, being "watched", NOT Agoraphobia, but my Aspergers.

I don't go to star parties (would love to but I annoy people), and many times if I didn't remotely use the scope I wouldn't view.

Before my friend died (Patrick Moore) I looked into remote scopes for him so that he could again view from his wheelchair indoors, HE was 100% with your view, if HE could not use the scope as intended he gave up, that to me is sad

Please remember there are thousands of reasons a "normal" person never thinks of for automation, disability being one, mental/physical, not being able to use the scope from a wheelchair, inability to use a scope at all whereas a carer/partner can show things on screen, health and the cold, infirmity/age, blindness, blindness does not mean NO sight 65 % of people visually impaired but can use a large monitor but the DSS still refer to it as blindness (to a degree!)

I also don't ride a horse and cart, listen to gramophones, don't shoot film any more and have a mobile phone.... it is progress, sorry :)

Attachment:
Dsc_2435.jpg
Dsc_2435.jpg [ 145.38 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:26 am 

As I said, Skyhawk, computers can be a useful tool.
Even I have hearing aids which have computers in them and of course I did use this tablet to sent this message..However in my case the reason that I do so much observing is probably because, using a simple spotting scope on a tripod, I can set it up in two minutes, and carry it into the garden or park almost immediately.

I quite understand the Aspergers problems...there are certain things that I avoid. Social eating just for the sake of, it is one ...dragging out a fancy dinner for ages just to talk, is beyond me...trapped, I have to leave! At least one of my son's and two if my grandsons are to various degrees on that scale. It is so common. Maybe in the past it was just not recognised as such. I rather think the Patrick Moore was there perhaps somewhere on the spectrum too.
Regards maf.