It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:27 am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 am 

JohnM wrote:
The costs of some astronomy events are quite high - the New Scientist Instant Expert on the Universe Costs from £129 to £149 for 6 talks though this includes a buffet lunch and refreshments. This makes other meetings seem like very good value.

The RAS at £ 125 for 10 meetings seems like very good value as well ! Shows just how much you get for your subscription to the SPA.

John Murrell

I agree but, back to what I said in the first place/s.

Wales, Scotland (where I also lived), all meetings (not just Astronomy) appear to be central (wealthy) England, and when there are any in the far flung out of the way places like Wales (sorry to other Welsh people) they are £40-£50+ per person.

As a single father of three Autistic sons and Autistic myself (non smoking/drinking) , if just I and one of my sons wanted to go that is £100 NOT including travel, food etc. A lot from carers allowance or pension, and impossible for many on low income or unemployed.

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

Last edited by skyhawk on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 am 

deleted double posted

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 am 

mike a feist wrote:
It is not just the cost of the actual meeting but often travel costs in money and time incurred as well. Travelling from Brighton to London, for example, to hear talks would, for me reduce any pleasure to near zero. I really am a dedicated non-traveller! Plus, of course, with such a huge subject as astronomy/skywatching, the sub-subjects are so diverse that some talks will be of little interest to some attendees or be too "scientific." Additional perks available to paid-up members, may initially make membership seem to be good value but there are now so many sources of up-to-date information via magazines that, for example, "Popular Astronomy " can only cover the same ground ( or sky!). I also think that I am not really a very clubbable
person! Although not a great computer user, I do like this SPA forum and do continue to use it regularly (as you must be aware!). Regards maf

Very good response and most eloquently put if I may say