It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 am 

I find that using a small screen on a DSLR even my D810 / D4s is a pain doing imaging so I decided to add a monitor via the HDMI out on the camera

https://www.lilliputuk.com

Whilst I would not use this without a red screen at an event it makes my life sooooooo simple now

Attachment:
P1060285a.jpg
P1060285a.jpg [ 196.52 KiB | Viewed 588 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm 

Snap !! :wink:

My setup for imaging the Lunar Eclipse is show in the attached image. No problems with a white screen as no one else about and I was observing under a street lamp ! No one to get upset with the flash I used to take this image either.

The monitor was just about warm enough to prevent frost forming on it unlike the telescope where both the inside & ouside of the dew shield had frost on them. Not on the lens though.

I did have a bit of a problem with the HDMI connection shutting down on my Canon 70D at times - I put the viewfinder level on and that cured it.

As well as focus it makes setting items on the menu's easy - however those things one needs to to use the top panel controls for such as ISO, metering etc. are still difficult. It might be best to use the Canon remote software on a laptop however I was too far from my wireless hub to connect the camera and laptop so it would require another cable, I suppose I could use a local wireless hub but would require yet another wireless connection set up on the camera which would remove the existing settings.

Older Canon DSLRs have acomposite video output, you should be able to view this on a monitor that has a composite video input. ( Yellow Co-ax plug). Also older Canon DSLRs without a folding screen can be difficult to see when the telescope is at high elevations and this solves the problem.

A side benefit is that having the camera screen on warms the imaging chip and increases the noise level. Using a remote monitor gets over this problem.

One thing to beware of is the image on the screen will be quite bright even if the image is under exposed - monitors don't normally dim enough for night use a grey or red filter will help.

Downsides you need mains electricity for the monitor and also HDMI cables get quite stiff at -5C. It is difficult to find flexible HDMI cables - the ones with built in ethernet seem even stiffer than the original type so go with the non-ethernet cable if you can. I could not find any measures of cable flexibility - the one I brought as flexible from a well known supplier (with Ethernet) is a lot less flexible than the 'simple' one I stole from my Raspberry Pi.

Regards

John

Attachments:
File comment: Observing setup with HDMI monitor for Lunar Eclipse
20190121-041033-small.jpg
20190121-041033-small.jpg [ 54.36 KiB | Viewed 576 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am 

NEVER though of that "A side benefit is that having the camera screen on warms the imaging chip and increases the noise level. Using a remote monitor gets over this problem."

The monitor I use, uses the same long life video camera batteries as my Panasonic, on the back

Do your settings not show in live view as my D810, then alterable as you view the screen

:)

Attachment:
jhtgfy.jpg
jhtgfy.jpg [ 158.63 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:36 pm 

On the Canon 70D some settings can be changed via the menu on the screen but others, such as exposure time, ISO, drive mode, focus mode, focus points etc are set via the top screen on the camera. They are shown on the information screen on the rear flip out display but cannot be changed. The setting that cannot be changed are those that you normally use the two thumbwheels to change.

Most if not all of these settings including taking single or multiple images can be controlled via the Canon Software that runs on a laptop and other devices. Unfortunately this seems to need a DHCP server to communicate with the laptop. Win 7 does not have a DHCP server built in and there are few if any free programmes available to do this.

There are a few other things I can try including using a redundant wireless router to act as DHCP server - it may not work if it has no internet connection though. Also I have a laptop running Linux - there is probably DHCP software for that. A third option is to buy a 4G mobile hotspot that should allow communication as well as internet access.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:25 pm 

JohnM wrote:
On the Canon 70D some settings can be changed via the menu on the screen but others, such as exposure time, ISO, drive mode, focus mode, focus points etc are set via the top screen on the camera. They are shown on the information screen on the rear flip out display but cannot be changed. The setting that cannot be changed are those that you normally use the two thumbwheels to change.

Most if not all of these settings including taking single or multiple images can be controlled via the Canon Software that runs on a laptop and other devices. Unfortunately this seems to need a DHCP server to communicate with the laptop. Win 7 does not have a DHCP server built in and there are few if any free programmes available to do this.

There are a few other things I can try including using a redundant wireless router to act as DHCP server - it may not work if it has no internet connection though. Also I have a laptop running Linux - there is probably DHCP software for that. A third option is to buy a 4G mobile hotspot that should allow communication as well as internet access.

John

I know you have you change them with the wheels but do they show on the external screen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm 

Not normally however if you press the 'info' button twice so the viewfinder level is shown on the screen you can then press the ISO, AF, Metering buttons, etc , the settings will be displayed on the screen. It seems a bit inconsistant though and of course the touch screen does not work on an external monitor so one has to try to reach the setting diats and the set button to change things.

John