It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Post subject: Pisces out of H2O
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm 

I have just discovered a whole new world of expletives when trying to figure out how to use my new toys. I recently took delivery of the Orion Planetary Video Camera IV and the Orion G3 Deep Space Colour Camera IV. The set up of the Video camera was quite straight forward and the little red light comes on and everything.....so excited when the little red light began to taunt me to the next level of hell. I did a little test and it all worked, feeling pleased with my victory over the tech devil, I then delved into the murky waters of processing the captured video......Here my language took a nose dive. I dutifully downloaded Registax as instructed and the tech devil began his main assault. I don't consider myself to be anything approaching a techy (maybe I do myself a disservice). The biggest problem I found is that you get told the basics, but it's clear you are on your own after having pressed the 2nd button on the program window. I daren't attempt the G3 yet as my blood pressure pills aren't strong enough to cope. I mean there are so many buttons to press and having tied my shoelaces this morning, there is very little brain power left. So to my point. I think I need a book/s that will give me a good grounding. But not one that requires me to understand the workings of the cosmos, I'm a simple fellow really. Possibly I will need one for the video side of things and one for the CCD side of things. Failing that I will pound my head into a suitable wall until I slip to the floor in a gibbering drooling pile of wretchedness. Does anyone have any recommendations. I'd like to return to my normal level of semi sanity and begin to relax and enjoy this new addition to my stress levels. :D

Skywatcher ED80 Pro, Skywatcher Equinox ED100 Pro, Coronado PST.
Mounts: HEQ5 Pro Synscan, NEQ6 Synscan
Cameras': Orion StarShoot 5MP, Orion G3 CCD, Canon 1100D (DSLR), DMK21.
Keeper of the Sacred Knitted Fingerless Gloves of Darkess and sometime comedy writer and stand up performer.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Pisces out of H2O
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:58 pm 

. Hi Peter,
Why not get a child of 8 to help you?

Me, I don't bother and if I need anything done I ask my computer friends as I don't have a clue.

Regards David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:22 pm 

Well, I figured the basics out and was able to take some video, some fine tuning is in order but I think I can get it into my head. The Star Shoot G3 Deep Sky colour imager has now arrived so another system to figure out but hopefully now I have the basics of the Video sorted it wont be so bad.

Keeper of the Sacred Knitted Fingerless Gloves of Darkess and sometime comedy writer and stand up performer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 pm 

If you are having the same problem as outlined above, Prof Ian Morison has a fantastic new book coming out early next year for people like me. He very kindly sent me a chapter which covered the use of Registax and now I am up and running and exploring the program with a degree of confidence and the results are getting better. Many thanks Ian, you are a life saver. Some examples below.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 2535 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 64.55 KiB | Viewed 2535 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 12.27 KiB | Viewed 2535 times ]