Canon Powershot cameras.

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

David Frydman

Canon Powershot cameras.

Post by David Frydman »

My secondhand A720 IS is presently on 40,311 photos taken.
It cost £49.99 less than six months ago and had taken about 300 frames from new.
I always put a plastic screen protector on when I get these very good condition cameras, which come with six month shop guarantee.
I only take one photo at a time and never use multiple shot drive.
It takes 2 AA Eneloops which give over 300 shots per charge.
I also recommend the A590 IS 2 AAs and the A650 IS using 4 AAs.
The two smaller 8mp cameras produce good A3 prints and amazingly the A650 has given me a good A0. I usually have them on minus 1/3 stop correction.
They are extremely reliable and several have past 65,000 shots. It is just that different excellent ones turn up and I start using them, but they probably are O.K for 100,000 photos plus each.
I made a mistake last week of using a blower to get dust off the viewfinder and blew some dust into the viewfinder now in focus.
So maybe one should not blow dust off lens either.

I am usually a Minolta/Sony man and recommend the Konica/Minolta Z6.
I much prefer these and the Canon Powershot cameras a few years old to some of the current throway consumer cameras with no viewfinder, inferior lenses and in some ways worse photos even with bigger pixel counts.

Regards, David
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

both myself and nmy daughter have the powershot A710is and my wife now has the A1000is (I had her old A710is because the flash was temperamental on low battery) my father has an A720is as well and on our reccomendation so has my wifes uncle - we have all found the camera excellent a definite cut above the rest, it is the camera I carry round with me, rather than the eos 20d which is a great camera but also bulky.
they have a great range of zoom and get excellent pictures and the bonus for me is that they run of standard AA batteries so in an emergency you can just pop in and buy some duracell to get you out of trouble when your rechargeables go flat. I am not certain how many shots mine has done since I reset the counter when I got it, but I have added at least 20,000 shots. all in all a camera I would definately recommend (and have).
Grendel
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Grendel,
I must admit I just put the camera in my jacket pocket without any case. But the screen protector takes the scratches not the screen.
The A720 IS is working perfectly but has some worn cosmetic marks seeing as i use it so much.
A peculiar thing with all the Powershots of this era is that occasionally they will take two photos in quick succesion when the shutter is pressed once. Perhaps once in five hundred shots.
The standard fault of the A650 IS which is basically a G9 I think is that the coated screen is soft and the coating comes off.
Be careful not to have anything press on this screen as eventually the screen will show missing streaks.
The A4 framed photos I have on the sideboard are parts of an A2 and AO which my brother printed off with a very cheap Canon printer. Completely standard JPEG Fine not even Superfine. No Photoshop or Picassa.
They are of the late Amy Winehouse taken in the street from about six feet with the 35mm wide angle end equivalent using the viewfinder. They are pin sharp 12mp from a sensor about a quarter of a 35mm equivalent diagonal.

The paparazzi were using very high end Canon DSLRs.
Because of back problems I could not bend down to get the best angle, but many friends and visitors have asked me to give them a copy of the original file and some say they will make me a full 4ft x3ft high quality photoshop print.
But I have refused even my best friends as I feel very strongly that photos should not be out there on the internet free of charge if the original photographer does not want this.
Photographers amateur and professional should not have their work appropriated for free if they don't want. I think it is very wrong that the BBC and others expect photos for free.
When I have wanted copies of some fine astro photos I have asked the photographer how much he wants for an A4 print and I insist his name is on the print.

Regards, David
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

actually on that point I agree with you, if I put photos on the internet - they go on at 640x480 resolution, not only because that way they use up less website bandwidth, but because that also limits the quality available on the internet. last week I got very lucky at my allotment, I was in the process of taking photos of the tomatoes that were growing (to show the wife when I got home), and a robin flew up and landed on the cane supporting the tomato - not 2 foot in front of the camera, well I got two good shots in before he decided he had had enough, the detail in the picture is stunning with individul feathers showing detail, a shot that I may wenn not have got with another camera, mine is a 7 megapixel, and I have a cheap giveaway 8.1 megapixel camera that can get nowhere near the same quality that the canon powershot can. I am fortunate in that I have a colour laserprinter that works up to A3 at work, as well as an A0 colour inkjet printer, both of which can do a good picture justice.
Grendel
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Just an update on the Canon A720 IS Powershot digital compact.
It is now on frame 80,922.
Unfortunately the counter goes up to 9,999,999 I think.
I don't think I will reach that, but I hope to reach 100,000 exposures, all taken individually.
I usually end up keeping 55% of the photos.
The camera works faultlessly till now. Excellent exposures. Fast time between shots. Focussing usually fast and accurate. Easy prints to A3 if you want on JPEG Superfine.
I use Superfine JPEG or Fine or Standard depending on the subject..
The largest number of photos I had taken before was 65,000 on the Canon A650 IS, but I changed to the smaller 2 AA battery A720IS as it goes easily in a jacket pocket.
There are some cosmetic wear marks, but otherwise the optics and mechanical components are still excellent.
No dust has found its way onto the sensor or into the optics as happened on the A650 IS.

Good cameras. Highly recommended.

Regards, David
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I've owned a few canon compacts over the years.
An A70 and an A95
Both of these were great cameras but both suffered from the dreaded error message that the lens was stuck.
The usual "fixes" worked for a bit, but eventually the cameras went into my knackered camera collection.
I used both of these cameras in my "digi-scoping" adaptor on my telescopes, shooting in movie mode. Maybe this contributed to the cameras problems.

I currently use an Ixus 100 IS... A tiny little camera that works very well. Flash is next to useless though. A great everyday, put in your pocket camera. Great for candids.
The main compact is my G10... It's the dog's danglies of a camera. I love it, and since I have owned it, my two digital Nikon DSLRs (D100, D90) have remained largely on the shelf.
The only problem with the G10 is the noise generated at ISO settings over 200... This could be a problem for astro-photography... I will not use my G10 on the digi-scoping adapter just in case it ends up the same way as my other cameras.

My SLRs have always been Nikons, and will stay that way, but the Nikon compacts that I have owned have given me nothing but trouble. The canons have been very good, apart form the lens sticking, which might have been caused by the digi-scoping adaptor.

I am very tempted to chop my G10 in for the G12. The G12 is great at high ISO ratings, so should be great for photographing the skies.
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Hadrianmike

Canon Powershot cameras.

Post by Hadrianmike »

The camera also offers Full 1080P HD video in a Canon Powershot ELPH digital camera. Many people underestimate the video camera portion of digital cameras, but this one is not to be ignored as it offers more than enough (quality wise) to take some quick videos when you're out with your friends, or to capture any amazing event when you hadn't planned on it. If your cell phone video camera is below 1080p, then this is a great alternative. And once again, it's small.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

The Canon Powershot A 720 IS does not offer full HD video.
What it does offer is quality of build and a fine lens.

The ELPH camera mentioned has a Digic 4 processor instead of Digic 3, and gives better low light level performance and higher useful ISO values. It may give HD video of good quality.
However, the build quality is in my opinion inferior and the lens resolution inferior.
Some of the ELPHs may give a wider zoom range.

The Canon Powershot A 720 IS has now taken 110,000 photos and the camera gives the same image quality that it gave when bought with around 300 shots taken.
It has been almost flawless, no dirt on sensor, no dust in the lens.
It is fast, and focusses fast in good light.

The newer Canon consumer cameras are in my opinion of inferior build quality. It is only when you go to the G12 or its successor with a much larger sensor that good build quality comes into play.
The Canon A 720 IS has a viewfinder which greatly enhances the ease of use and camera stability.
Most of the current consumer Canon cameras don't have viewfinders.

I know which camera I prefer, the Canon A 720 IS without a moments hesitation.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Re: Canon Powershot cameras.

Post by David Frydman »

The Canon A 720 IS camera is currently on frame 150,252 a photo of large cumulus clouds.
The camera stills works like new.
However, the bottom of the body is in serious need of a respray.
The rest looks good, no dings etc.
I recently took off the ring protecting the bayonet for accessory lenses, and was surprised how much dust had collected there. A simple clean fixed that.
Surprisingly it says Canon Inc. Made in China now that the secondhand price sticker has worn off.
I thought it was Japanese made as some of the other older Powershots were made in Japan.

This is the most photos I have taken with a camera, perhaps double that of my previous largest photo count with one camera.

I am on perhaps my fifth Hama thin screen protector. The underlying screen is I think still unmarked.

Regards, David
Marcosbaun

Post by Marcosbaun »

Recalling also that most of the Canon Powershot cameras can be installed CHDK program that allows exposures up to 64 seconds and also several other features found only in more advanced cameras:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Marcos
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Thanks Marcos,
As I am not computer literate I won't try that, but it is interesting.
I don't know if it does 64 seconds dark frames to improve photos.
Normally with long exposures the camera does its own thing and one cannot take another exposure until the equivalent time of the last exposure is completed.
Anyway I use it hand held and often get good exposures well braced at 1 second.
It goes up to 1600 ISO but is grainy or noisy.
The later G11s etc go up to about 10,000 ISO but I only like AAs as in Sanyo ENELOOP.

I had a Panasonic bridge camera which did maybe 15 or 60 seconds without extras.

My A 720 is now on frame 168,249 all single exposures, and optically and mechanically it takes pictures as new.
But cosmetically it is a mess at the bottom.
The paint there is worn out, and there is a large gap at the front of the battery, card cover.
The hinge is just worn out, but not a single exposure has been lost and for some reason the batteries make full contact.

I use Hama thin plastic screens and probably have used ten, they eventually come away from the screen which remains unscratched.

A great camera.
I also recommend the A650 and A 590.
Maybe they all use Digic 3, which is better than Digic 2. DIGIC 4 and 5 are better but the consumer cameras after the ones above are not built anywhere near as well.
Also few have the viewfinder, which is essential.
I would get a modern 20x optical zoom compact if it had a viewfinder, but they don't.
It is probably impossible for the makers to line up a 20x optical, 4x digital camera to have the viewfinder and screen coincident.

regards, David