It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:09 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:15 am 

A friend who wants to buy a DSLR with astro-imaging in mind as well as conventional photography has asked for advice as to whether Canon or Nikon is best for the purpose. I have no idea, and guess that they are pretty much the same. He is considering a Nikon D90, but I can't discover whether it comes with the capability to be linked to a computer for direct 'tethered' imaging, so that you can control the camera from the laptop, see the images (including Live View images) in full resolution on the monitor as a they are taken, and capture images directly to the computer.

Can anyone with a D90 enlighten me? And it would be useful if owners of other recent DSLRs could tell us whether their camera offer this facility, out of the box. My Canon 40D does, and I use it all the time.

Thanks

Robin

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 am 

When I started a couple of years ago, everyone said to go for a Canon 350. There was a reason why Canon was better than Nikon, but I am afraid my memory fails me as to what it was. Could it be that Canon had lower noise values?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:51 pm 

Dear Robin and GeorgeC
I recall some years back being told that Nikon D-SLRs had built in noise reduction supposedly OK for "ordinary" photography but resulting in the fainter stars initially picked up by the sensor not appearing on the resultant image.
However, I think Nikon have since changed things making the noise reduction facility switchable on\off - but I am not certain.
Incidentally I know someone who just bought a posh Sony Alpha £1500-ish ful frame D-SLR (not sure if its a 600 or 900 designation).
It has mirror lock up - but from what he said the mirror lock works off the camera's battery rather than being simply mechanically locked up. If that is true then using mirror lock must be a drain on the battery ????
My 300D-SLR does not have mirror lock (but my own quirks are probably a bigger cause of my imaging problems than any of the 300D limitations.
I have also had a Canon 400D-SLR for about 2 years now but I have never used it for astro-imaging just happy holiday snappering.
Best of luck from Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm 

Cliff wrote:
Dear Robin and GeorgeC
I recall some years back being told that Nikon D-SLRs had built in noise reduction supposedly OK for "ordinary" photography but resulting in the fainter stars initially picked up by the sensor not appearing on the resultant image.
However, I think Nikon have since changed things making the noise reduction facility switchable on\off - but I am not certain.

I remember that thing about the noise reduction never fully switching-off, even in RAW format.

I'm sure it would have been fixed but worth checking.

Ian