A disco ball in space

A place to post details relating to artificial satellite observations

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

A disco ball in space

Post by brian livesey »

The New Zealand company Rocket Lab has launched a huge, brilliant, "disco ball"-like object into orbit. Some astronomers are outraged by what they consider to be an obstruction in space - blocking out stars and making it harder to launch satellites.
The bright new object was justified by the company by saying that it was "born of a desire to encourage people to consider their place in the universe and reflect on what's important in their lives and the lives of humanity as a species." The disco ball will orbit Earth for a year.
David Kipping, an astronomer at Columbia University, said of this public relations stunt, "This is stupid, vandalises the night sky and corrupts our view of the cosmos." Others said that there was no need for an artificial star to make us appreciate the night sky. "The Moon and planets invoke similar feelings of wonder - why do we need this artificial disco ball?" asked planetary scientist Meg Schwamb.
brian

RMSteele

Re: A disco ball in space

Post by RMSteele »

I remember the excitement when I looked for the Echo "balloon in space" when I was a little boy. It certainly made me look up, as the saying goes. I wonder if any future worthies of space science will own up to having their interest stimulated by the sight of the disco ball? In fact I'm gonna try to look up an ephemeris. Best wishes Bob.

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I recall seeing Echo 1 ( or was it 2? ) in a friend's homemade 8-inch Newtonian reflector. The inflated satellite could be plainly seen as a little ball through the eyepiece.
brian

stella

Post by stella »

Humanity Star will burn up in the atmosphere in the next five days.