Stream of bright Satellites seen -StarlinK

A place to post details relating to artificial satellite observations

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Stream of bright Satellites seen -StarlinK

Post by michael feist »

5th May 2021, about 0340 BST; Was observing the M27 and, as I looked up, was very shocked to notice a stream on bright objects crossing through Hercules and down through Aquila. Separated by perhaps a couple of degrees or so and almost equally spaced, covering at least two [or more] hand-breadths. Soon lost count as so unexpected! Dozens perhaps, then none. regards maf.
SkyBrowser

Re: Stream of bright Satellites seen -StarlinK

Post by SkyBrowser »

I've yet to see a long string of satellites. But I too was observing last night and there were numerous solitary satellites passing through the eyepiece field of view. I remember, back in the 60s when one had to plan carefully if one wanted to see a satellite!
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The ‘sixties, when the stars still shone brightly over the town. Now, we’re lucky if we can see below 3 mags.
brian
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I was observing Leo and Virgo with a 5" 'scope last night, with a 2.5° field of view. Satellites by the bucket load kept passing through the view. At one point there were about a dozen playing chase, about one second apart. Too faint to be seen with the naked-eye, but it must annoy the heck out of the imagers!
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I saw a long stream of starlink satellites last night, around about 2245UT. I was observing the Moon and a cloud passed over it, so I looked up to see what the score was and I noticed some bright stars that shouldn't be there. And then realised they were moving. Lots of 'em! The effect was slightly spoiled by clouds that had just blown in, but it was really quite impressive to see the long string, rising in the SW, passing almost overhead and then sinking down in the NE. They passed very close to Vega. The spacing was uneven, though there may have been a pattern to it, but hard to tell because of the cloud.I estimated 40-50 all together.

Looking on Heavens Above there were 48 of them. The magnitude was given as 2.3, but I'd say they were mag 1 or possibly brighter. But not as bright as Vega or Arcturus. They were launched on the 9th of May.

I realise that they would annoy the heck out of imagers if they passed through the FOV of a long exposure, but they're also the sort of thing that might impress otherwise non-observers (e.g. my other half!) on a nice summer's evening in a deckchair with a glass of something in one hand :)
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

There'll be another tranche coming over tonight around 23:29 (BST) and running for six minutes or so. The satellites will be passing very close to Vega.

Check Heavens Above for times and visibility for your location.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

More Starlink satellites tonight (and it's clear!) starting at 21:55 BST here in the SW. And then the ISS at 22:03. I think I shall take a turn outside and see how they fare against the 15-day old Moon.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Well, I saw a couple of them! The sky was much too blue, but two of them flared up to a negative magnitude and I was able to follow them in bins before they disappeared again.

The ISS came over just after ten and it was (obviously) easy-peasy at mag -3 or so. Fun to watch it slowly, ever more slowly, sinking down in the east.

Will go out again in about 20 mins and see if I can see the next two streams. Hope the Moon hasn't got too high by then!