Eenie meenie minee mo

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

Thanks for the pic. most useful.
The tripod and mount are more robust, so I have a place for that already :)

As for Steve's commect on it being a new toy/hobby and finding a space...
I have a lot of hobbies, space is running out :) The 'scope and the mount might have to live in serperate room though.
I've had a look in our motorhome too and think I've found a place for the 'scope (OTA?), Now depending on how small the tripod/mount goes down, I might have a home for that too.
Having talked with my wife (it does happen occasionally) she seems to want us to get "The big one". I'm happy with this. I just have to work out a way of paying for it :)

Thanks again for all your help
Darren
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Themightyimp

Post by Themightyimp »

dazcaz wrote:Thanks for the pic. most useful.
The tripod and mount are more robust, so I have a place for that already :)

As for Steve's commect on it being a new toy/hobby and finding a space...
I have a lot of hobbies, space is running out :) The 'scope and the mount might have to live in serperate room though.
I've had a look in our motorhome too and think I've found a place for the 'scope (OTA?), Now depending on how small the tripod/mount goes down, I might have a home for that too.
Having talked with my wife (it does happen occasionally) she seems to want us to get "The big one". I'm happy with this. I just have to work out a way of paying for it :)

Thanks again for all your help
Darren
Women allways like the big ones mate............. :lol:
Skywatcher Explorer 150mm reflector
Pentax K100D DSLR
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

I recommend having a look at the thing set up before you commit, some of these 'scopes are big b****rs ! I picked up my 6" short focus refractor as an ex-demo bargain (and very pleased I am with it) but had been looking at a 4" or 4.75" based largely on price. The 6" is big though. But when you see it, don't let that put you off. If you go for a compromise 'scope you'll regret it a few weeks down the line and be back in the market for an upgrade. I started in December with a 114mm reflector, thinking I wanted something inexpensive in case I got bored, but decent enough so that I didn't get bored 'cos I couldn't see anything worth seeing ! It didn't take long before I wanted an upgrade. I raised the money by selling stuff on e-bay. That way you could raise the money and free up the storage space ! I sold the 114mm for £50 - half of what my wife paid Father Christmas for it less than 3 months before .
Cheers
Martyn
Bresser Messier R152S 6" Refractor
10x42 Binoculars

If I see less than other people it is because I stand behind some bloke on the shoulders of giants!
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I'm off to look at a 200 on an EQ3 mount in the morning (Friday).
I have no intention of buying it as it's way over-priced, but it will give me a fairly accurate idea of how much room it will take up.

If all goes to plan I intend to order the 200 HEQ5 from a reputable online dealer soon.

Does anyone make a case for the 200? A little bit of protection when being taken to dark skies.

Darren

dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

Good news!
I have ordered the Explorer 200 HEQ5 from Steve at FLO.

I'll let you know when it arrives.... I've just seen the weather forcast....
I won't be using my shiny new 'scope for a while :(
Oh well, it'll give me time to play with it and learn a little about it.

At last I'll have a 'scope worth having... I also have a reason to chuck some stuff out :)

Darren

stewart

Post by stewart »

good choice darren,you will be impressed by the mount,superb value for money and the o.t.a aint half bad either.Welcome to the ever growing Skywatcher Explorer owners club :D a happy bunch of astronomers......weather permitting that is.
UKAndy

Post by UKAndy »

Hi Darren - I certainly agree with Stewart. An excellent choice, and an excellent mount, especially for photography - Oh how I wish I'd had another £300 in the coffers when I bought ours, as now it'll cost me another £450 just to get an HEQ5 mount for my "paltry" 130mm! :mrgreen: You'll have to let us know when you post your first photo's...

As you say, the forecast ain't too good for at least the next few days, but plenty of time to RTM and play with the motors.
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

UKAndy wrote:Hi Darren - I certainly agree with Stewart. An excellent choice, and an excellent mount, especially for photography - Oh how I wish I'd had another £300 in the coffers when I bought ours, as now it'll cost me another £450 just to get an HEQ5 mount for my "paltry" 130mm! :mrgreen: You'll have to let us know when you post your first photo's...
Yes,I'm sooo looking forward to the new arrival. I think it's the right choice, but won't know until it's set up and I get my first viewing.

As for spending another 450 quid on an HEQ5 mount you could spend a little more ( <50 quid) and get the Explorer 200 bolted to it as well.

Darren

Andrew INT

Post by Andrew INT »

I got my scope from FLO last week, and am very (very) happy with it.
I even used the discount to go towards the Revelation eyepiece and filter set (£100)

I have heard that the Barlow is a bit cheap and cheeful, but I've not had a good enough play yet due to all the cloud (one nights viewing so far) so cant comment. Very happy with the quality of the Revelation kit.

Keep looking up!

A
Skywatcher Explorer 200P on HEQ5 Mount with GOTO upgrade
Canon 350D DSLR, 10x50 Bins http://andrewrichens.wix.com/astro-nerd