Just starting

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

David Frydman

Re: Just starting

Post by David Frydman »

Tom,
If you always have access to the Avimos and they are regularly serviced I don't think you need another binocular.
Do you eyes focus perfectly with them? I think they are fixed focus.

The 10 x 42 Jessops are not much better just higher magnification.
I think you would need a good 10 x 50 or 10 x 56 to get much improvement.
If your pupil size is big enough and you have a dark location a high transmission 10 x 60 Porroprism might suit.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Tom,
Have a look at Optical Vision site.
Quantam 4 10 x 60 porroprism nitrogen filled waterproof £119 or less. I think high quality for the price.
They are importers you need to get one from a shop if you choose this.
1.37 kg. You should manage this O.K.
It depends how dark your location is and your pupil size.

Get a friend to measure it in dim room lighting with a ruler.

Regards, David
Tom_054

Post by Tom_054 »

To be honest David, the bino's are property of the MoD therefore I can't take them away with me for personal use (although no one would miss them: P just showing how much they are used). I work on an airfield which as you can imagine is secluded enough to have very little light pollution around it if any, I am at least 5 miles away from the local town .

Regards for being serviced, in the 2 and a half years I’ve been here they have not been serviced at all and only god knows how long they have been there for, but they do seem quite good and my eyes do focus well with them. Although I can use these in work when I have the time I would still prefer to have my own personal set with the better specs that I can take around with me between locations.

I have been looking at some of the ones in the earlier post and quite like the look of them all so I think we may find a winner amongst them. From the earlier discussion regarding waterproof ones I don’t see any immediate use to justify the feature, although if I find some that are for a reasonable price then it’s not going to hurt aye.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Tom,
Then a 10 x 50, 10 x 56 would suit.
If you have a lot of upper body strength then the 10 x 60 Quantam 4 at 1.37 Kg could be used for extended periods.
Normally 1.0 kg would be a sensible weight or less for extended use.
Persons who have well controlled breathing and have very steady hands enjoy 15 x 70s but the cheaper ones are not robust and I would not recommend them as a durable item. They frequently go out of collimation even new out of the box.
The Quantam 4 15 x 70 I think weighs about 1.85 kg and would suit someone with very good upper body strength.

I prefer 12 x 50s although when younger 10 x 50s or the Soviet/Russian 12 x 45.

I am sure you will something, especially if you can compare and try them in a shop.

Regards, David
Tom_054

Post by Tom_054 »

Hi again everybody, the time was upon last night to use my scope for the first time! managed to get a decent look at the moon and luckily Jupiter! found it a little struggle to set up for the first time, all though i did it, balanced the scope ect. The only thing i didn't do was align it with the north star. I was amazed at the amount of detail I could see on the moon, I have to admit though i was expecting a little more of Jupiter, was fairly small but I could see the tell tale stripes,is the sort of thing i can be expecting or are there ways of getting it bigger? I think i was using my 6mm lens with a 3x Barlow. I also noticed at how fast it was drifting across the FoV adjusting my scope as it eluded me. Ive also been out today and set up my red dot finder correctly using a chimney pot as a reference. All in all i can't complain about the experience it was great and i'm very much looking to see what tonight has to offer and venture a little further afield than the moon haha :) there is going to be a meeting at my local astronomy club specifically for beginners on the 7th Jan which I will be attending to quiz the veterans and will be taking my scope with me for few hands on pointers hopefully. In the next few weeks I might get myself an optics kit with some quality lens' and filters, do you think this would be worthwhile moving away from the stock lens'?

Many thanks

Tom
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Tom,
The 6mm by itself is about as much as the scope will show at 150x.
With a 3x barlow that is 450x, way over the top.
I doubt whether anything over 200x will be useful even in the steadiest Seeing.
150x is quite enough, but the veterans at your local society will advise.

Happy New Year,

regards David.
Tom_054

Post by Tom_054 »

Hello again everyone, dissapointing clouds are hindering my eagerness therefore I have been surfing the internet. This ones about eyepieces, I have found what looks like a very good and reputable eyepiece kit from celestron, no doubt you all know which one I mean, but here it is anyway http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006RH5I/r ... 00006RH5I,. What is everyones view on this kit and would it be a good idea for me a get it? Mostly am I going to see any beneficial returns for my money compared to the stock ones I got i.e qulaity of eyepieces ect?

Many thanks

Tom
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Tom,
The kit is o.k. it is similar to the Revelation kit I think from Telescope House.

Not sure that you need it though.
What eyepieces do you have at present?

Happy New Year,

David
Tom_054

Post by Tom_054 »

David,

I currently have a 6, 12.5 and 25 mm with a 3x barlow
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Tom,
The Celestron kit will give more varied magnifications, maybe somewhat better quality.
The filters some people use for planets. But with a small scope the higher powers give a rather dim image which may be dimmer with a filter, but they sometimes show more.

It is not a bad purchase.
You could also select individual eyepieces say Revelation own brand see OVL website.

It may be easier just to get the kit.

If you ever bought a bigger or different scope the eyepieces can be used with that also.

Jupiter gets very high now so the image should be better at high elevation.
But with your scope 150x maybe 200x is the limit even in the best conditions.

regards,David
Tom_054

Post by Tom_054 »

Great thanks David, I went ahead and purchased the kit anyways, see it a good investment in the long run to be honest. Having the case ect makes it so much easier to be carting them around. Its just as i was reading reveiws on websites ect i see some people where slating the stock eyepieces with sharpness and so. But hey its done now, No regrets! :P

Happy new year to yourself also

Tom