First Proper Telescope

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Brian

Re: First Proper Telescope

Post by Brian »

+1 for the Startravel. I have the Helios version from 2000, on an EQ1 and with a simple motor drive added on the RA axis. I've used it visually and for imaging with a webcam and I think it's a good value in spite of the drawbacks - lightweight equatorial head and some blue fringing on bright objects. I bought a Baader "contrast booster" eyepiece filter to use with it - this cuts the blue, making objects appear warmer and for instance helping to make Jupiter's belts stand out a little better. I did a lot of lunar and white-light solar imaging with that scope, some of my lunar images were used in Peter Grego's "Solar System Observers Guide" and "Moon Observers Guide" at the time , so they can't have been too bad :)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
David Frydman

Re: First Proper Telescope

Post by David Frydman »

Just thought I would mention that Mike's Startravel is on the sturdy Altazimuth AZ3 mount, which does not need the fiddly polar alignment of an equatorial mount.
The basic scope comes with a 20x and 50x eyepiece I think, so with experience one would get a higher magnification eyepiece.
With an altazimuth mount it helps to have a wider field say 5mm eyepiece to more easily find and follow say a planet at say 100x.

Regards, David