Hello from Portsmouth

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Muzzy59

Hello from Portsmouth

Post by Muzzy59 »

I am new to astronomy and have just purchased my first telescope Nexstar 4 SE. I have already had some excellent views of the moon, but I am having some problems use the tracking system. I guess that this is down to experience or lack of it in my case. Any handy tips and advice would be most welcome.
David Frydman

Re: Hello from Portsmouth

Post by David Frydman »

Hi and welcome.
I think your telescope is a long focal length Maksutov type telescope.
The problem may be the small field of view with such scopes.
The tracking system may not be accurate enough unless you set it up very accurately.
Whatever is the case you should use the lowest magnification eyepiece you have to locate things, then switch to a higher power.

I am not used to computerised scopes but many here are and hopefully will give advice soon.

This question has come up many times in the past.

At the moment enjoy the Moon and easily located objects.
At the moment the planets are not on view but will soon return.

I used to travel a lot to Portsmouth for work and enjoyed my time there.

Regards, David
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Muzzy and Welcome :)

That is a high-quality optical system you have there, excellent for high-magnification Lunar and planetary observation.

Just to be clear, do you have a problem with tracking, which is the way the telescope follows an object in the eyepiece, hopefully keeping it fairly central for a reasonable period of time before you need to apply adjustments via the handset, or do you have problems with the goto which is the way the telescope moves itself to locate an object you've selected using the handset?

Most new users of Goto telescopes find the setup routines a bit baffling at first :shock: :)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Muzzy59

Post by Muzzy59 »

Hi Brian,
I have no problems with the GoTo system, but some problems with the tracking and as you mentioned it is keeping the object in the eyepiece for any reasonable time. I have attempted to start drawing the moon but find it a little frustrating when returning to the eyepiece and guess what no moon or at least the part I am trying to sketch has disappeared. Is this down to inaccuracies in the original aligments?

Muzzy

ps would like to sort this out as I would like to start taking photographs.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Especially in alt/az mode, the quality of the original setup and alignment will affect the tracking. The movement in altitude depends on where the telescope thinks it is pointing, and if it is actually pointing somewhere else then the wrong correction may be applied. This is particularly true when pointing due south - before then the alt axis is moving upwards, immediately past south the axis starts to move downwards. If the telescope isn't quite where it thinks it is then the up/down movement could be in the wrong direction.

Another possibility, if the alignment isn't a problem, is that you may need to set a different tracking rate when using high power eyepieces. The default tracking is "sidereal" (general purpose, stars/planets) but you can select "lunar" and "solar" for high-power views of the Moon or Sun, which don't move exactly at sidereal rate,

HTH,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
phillj

Post by phillj »

Hello Muzzy and a warm welcome to SPA.

phillj
skywatcher Explorer-130PM f/900
7x50 10x50 binoculars
Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

Hi

Welcome to the forums :-)

Im from Portsmouth...born and bred...although now live near to the dark side (southampton) lol

Just thought I would say hi :-)

Regards

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php
stella

Post by stella »

Hi David,
I clicked on that link:

http://popastro.com/vstar/

and got a 'Page not found' error.

It would be good to have details of variable star section available.
Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

Hi

Apologies...try the following:

Ill update the profile link now :-)

Regards

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section