Intro from a newbie

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

eltanko

Intro from a newbie

Post by eltanko »

Hello all

Brand new to astronomy, though it is something that I have already been interested in.

Have obtained some Skymasters a few days ago, though they were out of collimation and am now awaiting pair number 2!

Live in Long Ashton, just outside of Bristol UK, so if there is anyone who lives nearby, just say hello!!

As I said, am a complete novice, taking the first steps into what I hope will be a really satisfying hobby. Any hints and Tips would be greatly appreciated.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Welcome.
Sorry the first binocular was out of collimation.
When you get one that is in collimation, I presume 15 x 70??, then put extra bubble wrap around the case or use a more protective case as these binoculars do not like knocks, and the supplied cases are usually flimsy.

Enjoy your observing.

Regards, David
Brian

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the Forum! :)

There's not much that David won't be able to advise on re binoculars :D

Also, get a copy of Stellarium
http://www.stellarium.org/
for your computer and you can explore the sky and learn your way around even when it's cloudy (it usually is )

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
eltanko

Post by eltanko »

Thanks for the welcome.

I have taken a look at the stellarium, and will Download very soon. I have indeed noticed that its always cloudy, the only day so far it has been clear, was the day I found my bins were faulty! Typical! They are 15x70's. Second pair arrived yesterday, and seem fine!
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)
I also have the Skymaster's very good and quite light too, but as David mentioned the supplied carrying case isn't too protective against knocks, (keep meaning to get an hard case for mine but as usual it's one of those things I keep meaning to do and then wishing I had done it ... )
Best of luck with your observing and let's hope we get some clear nights soon.
All the best
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Karen_Wilson99

Post by Karen_Wilson99 »

Hi there eltanko

I am just across the Severn Bridge in Magor and am also a beginner with a pair of Skymasters! Welcome and maybe we can help each other through this fascinating hobby. :0)

Regards,
Karen
eltanko

Post by eltanko »

Karen, sounds like a plan! Having the same bins and being so close together, would be interesting to see what results we get!!
Karen_Wilson99

Post by Karen_Wilson99 »

Just be careful with them (see my posts in the general chat forum). Mine accidentally fell off my tripod and they are now out of collimation. Seems that these bins are great but you have to treat them so carefully as they won't take any accidental knocks, etc. Just to warn you. :0(
phillj

Post by phillj »

Hello elianko and a warm welcome to SPA.

phillj
skywatcher Explorer-130PM f/900
7x50 10x50 binoculars