taking photos

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

fattcslim

taking photos

Post by fattcslim »

hi , just got a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ-MD and am now wanting to buy a camera to use with it, i dont have lots of cash and have seen a fuji s3200 at asda for £125. will this be any good to use with the above scope and get good pictures, or if theres another camera around the same price to get pictures of the planets etc. sorry if this is basic but ive no real idea what im doing as of yet and want to be able to learn/show my daughter the wonder and joy of it. shes only 3yrs old so i have a few years to practice and learn lol. many thanks
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Welcome.

I am no expert on modern digital photography with scopes.

For planets people tend to use webcams which are quite cheap. I.e less than £50.

Wait till you get expert advice from knowledgeable people here.

Is the Fuji you mention a bridge camera? I will look it up.
If so you would use it for afocal photography.

Some people use DSLRs particularly Canon. I.e just the bodies for wide field shots.

If you look at the Gallery photos you will see what people are using.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I had a Fuji bridge camera and I was not happy with it.
Fuji refused to tell me what sort of image stabilisation it had.
I think in effect it just went for high ISO and maybe some kind of electronic image stabilisation.

However, they seem to have improved things with the 3200 in that it is listed as having sensor movement stabilisation.

At the price it seems good although reviews say it is a bit slow in start up and autofocus.

Although I now mainly use Canon Powershot compacts, I was very unhappy with a superzoom Canon bridge camera.

On the old Canon A720IS I am now on 93,00 plus individual photos and it still takes pictures as if it were a new camera.
I don't think many cameras could equal this.

On the Canon Bridge camera above
there were many dark artifacts say on the Moon when the image was enlarged. Whether there is a software update I don't know.
Some of the slightly older 12x zoom Canon bridge cameras were much better.

The old Konica Minolta 12x Z6 gives very good images but is now outdated. It only goes to maybe 400 ISO but it is still excellent.

A Sony 15x bridge camera was excellent except it used Sony's own cards The lens was excellent.

A Panasonic 12x bridge camera was also good.

I don't know about present day massive zoom bridge compacts.

Some are not good for big enlargements.

What I like about the Powershot and Konica/Minolta is that they take AA batteries. The Fuji 3200 also seems to use 4 AAs.
Many reviewers don't like these but I do. They prefer Lithium Ion own makes.

I use Sanyo Eneloop AA Hybrid rechargeable batteries.
In my opinion these are better than anything else on the market.
They are difficult to get but the Small Battery Company in south London I think sells them. About £9.50 for 4, two packs post free.
They don't like fast chargers but the latest ones are good for 1,500 recharges.
You can buy them with a slow charger or a 2 1/2 hour charger from the Small Battery Company or just the batteries.

Every other Hybrid similar battery I have used is a let down compared to the Sanyo who invented it.

Duracell, Ansmann, and several others promise much but don't deliver.

Maybe buy a What Camera magazine or similar and look at the reviews.

There are so many cameras that it is bewildering.

Regards, David
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

The fuji s3200 has quite a large lens so unless this comes off you might have a problem connecting it to the 'scope.
Look for a camera with a small lens sticking out of the front... This will be easier to connect to the 'scope using a digiscoping adapter.
These adapaters hold the bolt to the camera using the tripod mount and then a pair of jaws clamp around the eyepiece. This way you photograph what you see in the eyepiece. You get a much bigger magnification this way. This isn't necessarily a plus point.
Then shoot video rather than stills. The video is then processed and turned into a still using software.

Webcams are very popular for shooting the video. The advantage with a proper camera is that you can shoot the video away from the computer and copy the files over later. Saves you taking the laptop out in the cold :)
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
fattcslim

Post by fattcslim »

thanks for the advice guys , upon reading the comments by daz and then looking at the digiscoping adapter, it seems i should be able to use the fuji a800 digital compact i already have. for some reason i was thinking i needed a larger camera but seeing as people are using webcams it should be ample. as i im new at this and thinking the camera did more but the telescope is doing the work not the camera.

i shall look at getting a digiscoping adapter not a new camera and give it a go. well when ive built the telescope anyway. im so looking forward to it.

many many thanks to you both for the help

tony