telescope shopping

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

peter

telescope shopping

Post by peter »

Hi all,
Im totally new to astronomy.
On advice I did started with some binoculars (Celestron 15x70) and are more hooked then ever. Im looking around in future to take 'the plunge' in telescopes. Im in particular looking at the skywatcher explorer 200p (reflector) or celestron onmi 127 xlt. Im mainly interested in deep sky viewing and maybe going into astrophotography.
Any help would do. :D
Peter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Peter, and Welcome!

If your budget will stretch, I'd say go for the 200p. The extra aperture will bring in more deepsky objects , your main interest, but the 'scope will also give good resolution of solar system objects as well. 8 inches aperture is a good all-round size for the UK, given the erratic quality of the seeing here.

As a comment, the EQ5 mounting is OK for visual work, but if you really want to do imaging you are advised to get a heavier mounting (minimum HEQ5). Not a cheap option :)

Also I'd advise joining a local astro society if you can. Try to get a look at some of the kit others have. You'll be surprised how big and heavy a 200p and an HEQ5 mounting is...

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

Peter,
I have the Explorer 200P on an HEQ5 mount and it is simply stunning!

It is quite large, and the mount is very heavy, so be sure you have somewhere to keep it safely.

As Brian said, the HEQ5 is the minimum for this 'scope. Anything less will struggle.

The 200 is not a 5 minute 'scope. It can take a while to set up, but it's worth it. The views are amazing. It's a great deep sky 'scope. You won't be disappointed!
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
peter

telescope shopping

Post by peter »

Hi Brian and dazcaz,
Thanks for the reply. The HEQ5 mount is a excellent advice, albeit rather costly. Having said that,I find it wiser to spend on the HEQ5 than on a GO-TO, besides I find it far more rewarding (and be amazed) to seek out all the jewels in the night sky myself.
Thanks again !!
Loads of clear skies