Hey all. New member.

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

bezza88

Hey all. New member.

Post by bezza88 »

Hi i'm a complete novice at astronomy but i finally managed to get myself a telescope and i hope to be able to use it well. It's not exactly a great telescope, (just a 70mm refractor), but i've managed to see quite a few things with it already. I thought i'd join this to get as much tips as i can so my telescope doesn't end up stuffed in the attic gathering dust =].
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Welcome and I hope the last few clear days has given you something to look at such as Jupiter, Venus and the Moon.

Regards, David
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Hello and welcome. Hope you get much enjoyment out of your new telescope.

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
bezza88

Post by bezza88 »

A few nights ago i managed to see jupiter and the four galilean moons but i only managed to see the north and south equatorial belts and no 'big spot'. Not sure if that's because of my telescope or the light pollution.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Jupiter rotates and the Great Red Spot has to be near the centre of the visible disc.
So either it wasn't there or was not easy to see.
It should be visible in the 70mm refractor.
It is a long time since I used one, but maybe 100 times magnification will show it if the Seeing conditions are good.
Others can advise.
At least you saw the two equatotrial belts and moons.

Often if it is not visible one day it might be visible the next day as Jupiter rotates about 2.5 times in one Earth day.

Regards, David

If you are up late say after 2 a.m. have a look at Saturn.
That is wonderful if you have not seen it.

But maybe 3 or 4 a.m. is better as Saturn is higher. It will be easier in the next few months.
bezza88

Post by bezza88 »

Ok thanks for the advice David. I'll try again when a night is clear. I haven't seen Saturn yet but i've always wanted to see it's rings. I don't mind staying up late so hopefully i'll find it soon.

Thanks again, Chris.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Chris, Welcome!

If yo want to know the best times to look for the GRS there are a number of possibilities, for example:

use a planetarium program to show the night sky (Stellarium is very popular and is free to download), this will include informaton/ graphics showing the position of Jupiters moons and the GRS.

use a small program called The Planets (needs Java to run ) from http://www.cpac.org.uk/ , or go to Calsky.com for online predictions

go to Sky and Telescope and read data off this table (times are in GMT/UT)
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/skytel/b ... 58424.html

The table is probably the most straightforward option,

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
bezza88

Post by bezza88 »

Hi Brian, thank you for the advice, the links should be extremely helpful. I should be able to spot it in no time. Thanks again.