Hello everyone

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

rigger01

Hello everyone

Post by rigger01 »

Hello

My name is Steve. I am brand new to astronomy, and for Christmas I received a Celestron Astromaster 76eq. Whilst I realise that the scope itself is low end, I think it will be a good starting block for me.

Since Christmas, I have purchased some Nikon Action 8x40 binoculars, and some books. ie The Practical Astronomer, Philips Stargazing with a Telescope, and Stargazing with Binoculars, along with the Philips Mini Stargazer and of course a star atlas. I have also downloaded Stellarium, which, to my untrained eye, looks pretty good.

I have only managed to go outside a couple of times since Christmas (during brief breaks in the cloud), and am currently familiarizing myself with the major constillations and planets, and using the books as light bed-time reading. I did go outside earlier this evening and got great views of the moon and jupiter just with my binoculars. I think I also saw two of Jupiter's moons, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, this was just a quick note to say hello, and I loof forward to being in contact with you all in the not too distant future.

A Happy New Year to you all.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hello Steve,

Welcome and Happy New Year.

You should be able to see some of Jupiter's moons with the 8x40 binocular as long as you have a fairly dark sky.
Normally that is a good wide angle binocular you have, with I think an aspheric eyepiece to improve the view.

The Moon should be good at this phase.

Here is hoping for some clear skies.

regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Steve,
You probably saw Ganymede and also Io and Europa combined as one moon.
Both of these star like points would have been on left of Jupiter as seen in normal binocular view.

I saw them a bit later in a 50mm binocular hand held very unsteady at a difficult angle. Ganymede was easier far to left of Jupiter with the combined pair closer in.

The Moon was nice nearby.

Regards, David
Last edited by David Frydman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigger01

Post by rigger01 »

Hello David

Thank you very much for the replies. The Jupiter moons I saw were on the left side. Wow, it's amazing how much you can see with binoculars. I will try the telescope tomorrow evening (clouds permitting).

I suppose cloudy skies are the most frustrating part of observing, so I'm pleased I have bought plenty of books to swat up on!!

Thanks once again for the replies.

Kind regards

Steve.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dear Steve, a warm welcome to the Forum! :) Look forward to hearing how you get on

Regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Hi Steve and welcome

You're off to a good start there. Hope you get much enjoyment from your telescope. :D

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're well equipped for starting out on your new hobby :)
Some good reading there to see you through this bad weather we are having at the moment.
Another site you might find usefull is this one which is helpful for observing Jupiter. As well as plenty of info if you look near the bottom of the page it gives you the times for when Jupiters moons are passing in front of and behind the planet. Fascinating to watch with your scope.

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/jupiter.htm

Good look with your observing and lets hope we get some clear skies again soon.

All the best
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
rigger01

Post by rigger01 »

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the link.

Just waiting for the clouds to go away now!!!

Kind regards
Steve
phillj

Post by phillj »

Hello Steve and a warm welcome to SPA, and a belated Happy New Year.

phillj
skywatcher Explorer-130PM f/900
7x50 10x50 binoculars