Hello

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

seachelles

Hello

Post by seachelles »

Hi everyone my name is Michelle and I am a complete novice but eager to learn!

My lovely husband bought me a telescope for christmas a Celestron astromaster 70AZ. I realise this is a low end telescope but as I am just starting out I think it will be perfect for me.
So far I have been able to view the moon very well and Jupiter including a couple of its moons and have been able to make out two of its bands. I have two eyepieces 20mm and 10mm but have just used the 20mm as yet.

As yet I have not bought any books, I just have an old atlas of the universe from when I was at school. Although I have some pretty nifty apps on my iphone which have come in handy.

Im really looking forward to learning so much about our sky at night and talking to you all along the way.

Michelle.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Michelle,
Welcome and I am glad you had your first view of Jupiter.
Try the Moon also.
Your scope should show quite a lot here, and Jupiter's moons are constantly changing positions.

Regards, David
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Hello and welcome. Hope you get much enjoyment from your new telescope. 'Turn Left at Orion' is a great book for beginners and will help you get the best from your scope. :D

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

If you have a smartphone download Google Sky Map.
Point your phone at the sky and it will tell you what you are looking at. it will also tell you what else is around. Very useful

Also, on you computer, download Stellarium. This give you a planetarium on you laptop. Tell it where you are and you will have the whole sky before you.
You will not only tell you what you can see with your eyes, but alos tells you where stuff is that you will only see through your scope.

Both programs are a must for any astronomer.

Turn left at orion is also a real boon. It tells you how to star hop the sly.

Jupiter is great, but just wait until Saturn comes into view.... IMHO it's the greatest thing in the sky!

Have fun with the new scope. Every home should have a telescope!
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Michelle, welcome to the forum!

You have a very capable starter telescope there - I'm sure you will have alot of fun with it.

Did you get The Sky Starter planetarium software with your scope? That should be a good place to start learning the night sky and the changing seasons,

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
M54

Post by M54 »

Nothing wrong with a 70mm scope, I have 2 and use them most of the time.

Just make sure it is set up as well as possible. Simply makes whatever it is pointed at clearer and in the case of the finder scope makes things easier to get into the field of view.

Objects at this time are Jupiter, Orion Nebula, Pleiades. Go see Orion as it will dip below the horizon in a month or two.

Book wise I use the Monthly Sky Guide. It has a monthly constellation, prominent one, and will give a list of things to see in it. Just find that it makes it easy.

An inexpensive scope is I think the best start, many jump in with a large scope then find that the realities don't match expectations. You will not get too many suitable nights to view and a small scope that is quick and easy to set up and use is very useful.
phillj

Post by phillj »

Hello Michelle and a warm welcome to SPA, and a belated Happy New Year.

phillj
skywatcher Explorer-130PM f/900
7x50 10x50 binoculars