Hello

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Frankhno1

Hello

Post by Frankhno1 »

Hi one and all, I'm new to Astronomy even though I'm 53 years old, (feels like my frist day at school). my wife got me a Sky-watcher Skyhawk 114 for Christmas. I have been trying to look at the night sky with it, when I look at the moon or try to use it in day light it all looks fine. But when I try looking at the stars all I can see is a circle of light and the shadow from the secondary mirror. When I try focusing on the star, all I can see is a ring of light but with a black middle. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I know it must be something simple but can't seem to work it out. I am using the Telescope indoors but have tried looking out of an open window
Thanks
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum :)
It looks like it's just a focussing issue here. Just keep turning the focusser (you might have to turn it quite a way) untill the star goes to a sharp point.
If the 'doughnut' shape gets bigger just go the opposite way :)
Happy viewing with your new scope.
All the best
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thanks Dave had a feeling it was something I was doing worng :D
Will try when I get a clear night sky, :?
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hello and welcome,

Try looking at Jupiter and its moons, which vary every night. This is bright in early evening.

Regards, David
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes indeed, a warm welcome to the forum :)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. As I have only been using it in doors I have not yet seen Jupiter as of yet. I have seen some stars, but as my room looks south I need to get outside to see more
phillj

Post by phillj »

Hello Frank and a warm welcome to SPA, and a belated Happy New Year.

phillc
skywatcher Explorer-130PM f/900
7x50 10x50 binoculars
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thanks Phill hope you had a good one too
dualyn

Post by dualyn »

Hiya Frank
all the best for 2012,welcome to the forum.

Regards Duane(dualyn)
Celestron CPC 800 GPS XLT,10"Dob,Revelation 20x80 and Helios 12x40 Bins,Lots of E/P's inc 13-24mm Hyperions,lots of filters,8"dewcap,etc.
A PATIENT WIFE.
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thanks again, I was looking at Jupiter the other night....looked grate could even see 3 of her moons. (just). So I tryed putting in my Barlow lens.......Big mistake I could not focus on Jupiter or anything. Why are the Barlow lenses so bad, and if they are as bad as mine seems to be, then why give them out in the frist place? Or is it just me? :?
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Try the barlow with a low power eyepiece first. It should be O.K.
I don't know why you could not focus.
It could also be the magnification was too high for the conditions.
But Jupiter is quite high now so should take a reasonably high power in good steady conditions.
Maybe the position in the barlow needed a change of focus.

regards, David
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thanks Dave, I was reading in a magazine that Barlow lenese were not that good, but as most people seem to get on fine with them it can't all be right. You said that my "Barlow needed a change of focus." in what why? Do you mean I should try focusing on something apart from Jupiter or am I missing something. Could it just be that I'm looking though a glass window?
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I presume you put an eyepiece in the barlow?

It would change the focal plane or focus point, as the negative barlow moves the focal point.

If you are looking through window glass especially at an angle the glass will distort and give mushy poor images.

At right angles to the glass 50x even 80x might be O.K.

But anything above 100x will probably show degradation.

Is it double glazing or single?

Have you tried the window open, although this may be worse until the room and outside temperature are the same, say in Spring or summer.

Regards, David

Also the larger the scope the more the image degrades when looking through window glass.
A 40mm aperture scope will show less distortion at the same magnification as a 60mm.
And a 114mm will show worse images than an 80mm at the same magnification.
However, the brighter image may compensate for this giving increased contrast.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

The Skyhawk 114 seems to be 1000mm focus.
I think it already has a 2x barlow type lens in it as it is basically perhaps f/5 or around 500mm focus with an integrated doubler increasing it to 1000mm.

40x, 80x O.K. through window glass at right angles to the glass.

Jupiter is high up and would be very affected by the angled window glass unless you can rotate the glass to be at right angles.
But then the window would be open.

100x maybe.
200x NO WAY unless a superb window. If you have superb window glass treasure it, as you are unlikely to find another that good ever.

Regards, David
Frankhno1

Post by Frankhno1 »

Thank you again Dave, will have to try outside one of thes nights. As for my window glass trst me I'm not that lucky.......I did not know my Skyhawk had a Barlow fitted, so I shoud not worry to much with the one I was trying to use. Never knew there could be so much to know about just to look at the night sky. Thanks again