Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

evo star 90

Post by evo star 90 »

Hi i'm Lorraine new to this website and spa. been looking through this forum for a while took me some to pluck up courage to introduce myself. i have been interested in astronomy for a while and have read some general astro books and have learned a few constellations so far i do try to observe from my garden but i do have slight restricted views and unfortunately, i do not drive. However, i have managed to see jupiter with my small telescope and binoculars and was blown away. I hope to see saturn soon aswell. I hope I haven't rattled on too much.
Lorraine.
evo star 90
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Lorraine,
Welcome.
Saturn is a fine sight in a telescope if you have not seen it before.
The weather lately has been better than over the previous three months.
Enjoy the sky.

Regards, David.
scarlet

Post by scarlet »

Hello Lorrain & welcome.

I'm a bit of a newbie around here & to astronomy as well.

If you haven't already download Stellarium. It's a free bit of software & so useful for observing.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Nice to see new faces. Welcome Lorraine.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes, Welcome Lorraine :D

You have a nice 'scope there, I'm sure you'll find it works well for you. Which mounting do you have ?

Regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Tim Chamberlain

Post by Tim Chamberlain »

Hello Lorraine!

I'm fairly new too - rekindling an interest (and prior memberhip) first taken up at age 13. I took a 20 year break from this hobby mainly due to my location - living in the centre of a big city, but I am now happily finding that this needn't stop anyone from observing ... I had my first view of Saturn the other night, greatly enjoyed observing Jupiter and Venus a few months back, also saw the ISS pass overhead. :D

Welcome to the boards! Looking forward to hearing more of your astronomical journey here.

Best wishes, Tim
8x30 (Baigish BPC5, Soviet era) Binocular
8x25 Bak4 Prism (Sun Optical) Binocular
7-21x25 (Helios) Monocular
kevinh1974uk
Location: Auckley, Doncaster, United Kingdom 53° 49' N 1° 02' W

Post by kevinh1974uk »

Welcome Lorraine. I'm relatively new too and SPA and this forum have helped me lots.
Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak Auto scope
Celestron 76 Firstscope
Celestron 10 x 50 binoculars
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Welcome to the forum,

JJ.. :)
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
evo star 90

thanks for the welcome

Post by evo star 90 »

Ive just downloaded Stellarium its great, really useful & very easy to use. I have been using an EQ2 mount with my scope, i find that easy to use. Just off now to look around Stellarium some more & plan my next viewing system.
Thanks, Lorraine :)
evo star 90
Vega

Post by Vega »

Hi Lorraine

You beat me to it... I was also gonna recommend downloading stellarium. You have to hunt down Saturn, its a lovely sight. No rush, you got all April and May to find it :)

Matt
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
scarlet

Post by scarlet »

Vega wrote: You have to hunt down Saturn, its a lovely sight. No rush, you got all April and May to find it :)
I was wondering how long we have, to enjoy seeing Saturn.

Thanks Matt.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Hi Lorraine, :D If you fancy daylight viewing too, don't forget the Sun. It's approaching maximum activity, so there should be plenty of sunspot groups to see. Go to www.spaceweather.com to see what's visible on the solar disc at the moment.
Care must be taken when observing the Sun because of the intense heat. You would need some BAADER Solar Film ( sold in A4-size sheets from astro-suppliers ) and a homemade cap to fit securely over the front of your 'scope with the solar film fitted inside the cap, but not stretched.
If you need any further information about solar viewing, especially with regard to protecting your eyes, you know where to ask. :wink:
brian
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Hello and welcome! Plenty of good advice here.

Rachel :D
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
M54

Post by M54 »

The Evostar 90 is a nice scope, don't rush to get bigger, that one will last for years and will do most of what ever you want. A nice choice.

Which area of Essex are you? There are several clubs and just wonder if one is close enough that driving is not necessary.

Saturn is around at present, not overly high until after midnight, and as we are now in BST it really means eaiting until midnight now. The Evostar should bring it up nicely if you try a magnification of 100-120x
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Ah yes, didn't spot you were from Essex, Lorraine. So am I. I belong to North Essex Astronomical Society, and we are a nice friendly bunch. As M54 says, there are a couple of other Essex clubs too.

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society